The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team saw three individuals win first-round singles matches as part of a competitive 20-team field at the West Point Invitational on Saturday in West Point, N.Y. In addition, Valpo had three doubles pairs garner opening-round wins.
How It Happened
- Sophomore Jelena Vujanic (Elk Grove Village, Ill. / Elk Grove) won her first-round match in A singles by besting Penelope Abreu of St. Bonaventure 8-4. Fellow sophomore Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) also competed in the A singles flight and came up shy against Sarah Hickey of Bryant by a score of 8-4.
- In C Singles, freshman Olivia Paradise (Mahtomedi, Minn. / Mahtomedi) captured an 8-4 victory over Anna Komer.
- Another Day 1 winner for Valpo was senior Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South), who topped Andrea Rojo of Saint Francis in one-sided fashion, 8-1.
- Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) – 8-4 to Casey Zhong of Lehigh – and Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) – 8-1 to Megan Tan of Bryant – both dropped first-round C Singles matchups.
- Freshman Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) and junior Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) both received Round 1 byes in E Singles.
- Paradise and Wind teamed up to form a freshman-senior combo in Flight A Doubles. They split their two matches on Friday, earning a 6-2 victory over Bryant before a close 7-6(3) setback to St. John’s.
- Vujanic and Czerwonka also went 1-1 in Flight A Doubles, rolling to a 6-1 victory over a St. John’s pair before falling 6-3 to a Stony Brook combo.
- Valpo grabbed another win in B doubles, where Modesto and Kopfer topped a St. Francis pair 6-4 before falling to Connecticut 6-3.
- Sysouvanh and Schoolcraft fell 6-1 to Army in a first-round B Doubles showdown.
Inside the Match
- Vujanic stayed undefeated this season by bolstering her singles record to 4-0. She is up to 23 career singles wins as only a sophomore.
- Paradise is undefeated in her young collegiate career at 3-0.
- Wind also has yet to drop a match this season and she upped her mark to 4-0. For her career, the senior owns 27 singles wins.
- Paradise and Wind picked up their first victory as a doubles pairing, while Vujanic and Czerwonka moved to 4-0 together this year. Czerwonka already has 19 career doubles wins.
Valpo will continue its weekend in West Point, N.Y. on Saturday as Day 2 of the event gets underway at 8 a.m. CT. Saturday will feature one round of doubles main draw, two rounds of main draw singles and two rounds of consolation singles. No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches and A, B and C singles main draw will be played at Malek Outdoor Tennis Center, while No. 3 doubles, Flights D and E singles main draw and all consolation matches will be played at Litchenburg Indoor Tennis Center.