The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team picked up six more singles wins on Saturday at the West Point Invitational in West Point, N.Y. Valpo was led by freshman Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) and junior Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview), who both went 2-0 on the day in Flight E Singles.
How It Happened
- Schoolcraft and Kopfer each earned a pair of wins in Flight E on Saturday. They are slated to meet in a semifinal match on Sunday. Kopfer beat Akyi Lenjor of Saint Francis 6-1, 6-0 before notching a 7-5, 6-4 win over Bridget Mayfield of Army. Schoolcraft picked up a one-sided 6-0, 6-0 win over Nicole Vassalle of Sacred Heart before topping Sophia Chavarria of Marist 6-4, 6-3.
- Sophomore Jelena Vujanic (Elk Grove Village, Ill. / Elk Grove) started her day by sweeping two close sets from NJIT’s Advaita Saravanan 7-6(4), 7-5 to advance to the quarterfinals of the A Singles Flight. There, she came up short against Sofya Treschcheva 6-2, 6-3.
- Sophomore Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) also went 1-1 in Flight A Singles on Saturday. She played in the consolation portion, first beating Montana’s Lauren Dunlap 8-5 before falling 8-2 to Joleta Budiman of NJIT.
Inside the Match
- Kopfer is a perfect 5-0 this season, while Schoolcraft is off to a 4-0 start to her young collegiate career. Kopfer now has 16 career singles wins.
- Vujanic picked up her fifth win of the season and the 24th of her career.
- Czerwonka gained her fourth win of the campaign while moving to 18 career victories in singles.
Valpo will finish out its weekend in West Point, N.Y. with Sunday’s third and final day of the event.