Once again playing with only four healthy players, the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team fell 7-0 to IUPUI on Sunday at the Northwest Athletic Club in Michigan City. The highlight of the day for Valpo was the performance of the No. 2 doubles team, which garnered a victory.
How It Happened
- The aforementioned victorious doubles combo featured senior Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) and junior Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview), who topped Gabrielle Ochalik and Sarah Lounsburg 6-3. The Jaguars (1-2) won first doubles 6-1 and third doubles by forfeit to capture the doubles point.
- The closet singles set of the day came courtesy of Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove), who dropped the opener 7-6(5) on a tiebreaker before losing the second set 6-1 against Lounsbury at No. 3 singles. Schoolcraft performed well this weekend considering the circumstances of being elevated in the lineup as a freshman due to a rash of injuries.
- The set scores were relatively close at No. 1 singles, but IUPUI’s Gabrielle Oschalik prevailed 6-3, 6-4 over Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy).
- IUPUI also took No. 2 and No. 4 singles in straight sets. The Jaguars won fifth and sixth singles by forfeit.
Inside the Match
- Kopfer and Wind picked up their first win as a pair this season. They did not play doubles together during the fall slate, competing in their first match together on Saturday against Butler.
- Kopfer and Wind had teamed together twice previously – once in each of the last two seasons. Their only prior victory as a combo was in the 2017-2018 fall opener against Grace College.
- Kopfer improved to 5-2 in doubles this season, while Wind upped her mark to 5-6. Kopfer has 16 career doubles triumph, while Wind owns 28.
Thoughts from Head Coach Tammy Cecchini
“Our players fought hard today. They put together a strong effort with multiple individuals playing out of position due to our injuries. I can’t ask for anything more than a full effort. It will be nice to get healthy and start to get our regular lineup back on the floor.”
Valpo (1-3) will resume a stretch of four consecutive home matches on Saturday, Feb. 9 as UIC comes to Northwest Indiana. Valpo will battle the Flames at Match Point Tennis Club in Griffith in a match that gets underway at 10 a.m.