The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team put together a strong showing on the opening day of the DePauw Invitational in Greencastle, Ind. on Saturday. Valpo owned the day by winning 17 of 18 matches overall including a perfect 12-0 team record in singles. The team is off to a winning start to the Bob Modesto coaching era as Saturday’s strong showing followed a victory in a fall dual match.
How It Happened
- The No. 1 singles flight was controlled by the Czerwonka sisters as Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) defeated Ashley Johnson of Bellaremine 6-3, 7-6(3) in the opening round before rolling to a 6-1, 6-0 victory over DePauw’s Amanda Schowalter in the second round. Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) equaled her older sister’s success, winning 6-2, 6-0 over a DePauw player in Round 1 and 6-3, 6-2 over a Bellaremine player in Round 2.
- The second singles draw also featured four straight-set victories by Valpo players. Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) and Amanda Taberna (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) both downed their opponents as both players posted 2-0 days.
- Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) continued a strong start to her collegiate career with a 6-1, 6-0 win over a Hanover College player in Round 1 before earning a 6-2, 7-6 triumph over Bellaremine in Round 2.
- The No. 4 singles flight featured a dominant performance by Valpo senior Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie), who lost just one game over four sets to cruise into the championship match.
- Claire Czerwonka and Schoolcraft swept their opening match at No. 1 doubles 8-0 before garnering an 8-5 victory to clinch a spot in the final. At No. 2 doubles, Jhaveri and Sysouvanh were 8-2 and 8-4 winners to punch their ticket to Sunday’s championship match.
Valpo will continue the DePauw Tournament with numerous Valpo singles players and doubles combinations slated to compete in flight finals on Sunday.