A win by freshman Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) highlighted the first day of action for the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team at the ITA Midwest Regional, hosted by Michigan State University in East Lansing. Tabanera was one of four Valpo players selected to compete in the event’s qualifying draw and nailed down a first-round victory.
How It Happened
- Tabanera started strong by beating Oakland’s Nirva Patel 6-3 in the opening set, but Patel came back to win the second set 4-6. In the decisive frame, Tabanera came through with a 6-3 win.
- The Valpo rookie played Round 2 of qualifying later in the day and matched up with Bowling Green’s Ioanna Tsadari, who prevailed 6-3, 6-2.
- Junior Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) fell 6-1, 6-1 to Aspa Avgeri of DePaul in the opening round of the singles qualifying draw.
- Freshman Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) incurred a 6-3, 6-3 setback to Illinois State’s Tara Damnjanovic.
- Sophomore Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) played a tight first set with Emily Casati of Illinois, but lost the match 7-5, 6-2.
A pair of Valpo doubles tandems qualified for the main draw doubles bracket, which begins on Friday afternoon. Claire/Schoolcraft will face off with Vasilescu/Pedroso of Arkansas, while Olivia/Demi Jhaveri will battle Toledo’s Leenabanchong/Carney.