A pair of Valparaiso University women’s tennis doubles tandems were represented in the ITA Midwest Regional on Friday at Michigan State University in East Lansing, Mich. Both Valpo squads incurred opening-round setbacks in the main doubles draw, drawing the curtain on a solid fall season to begin Bob Modesto’s head coaching tenure.
How It Happened
- Freshmen Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) engaged in a tight first-round match with Leenabanchong/Carney of Toledo. The Rocket pair edged the Valpo duo 8-6.
- The other Valpo doubles team to qualify for the Regional consisted of junior Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and sophomore Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove). They incurred an 8-2 setback in their match with Vasilescu/Pedroso of Akron on Friday.
Inside the Matches
- Jhaveri finished the spring as the team leader in doubles wins with 10. Her 10-4 mark was followed closely by Olivia Czerwonka and Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie), who had nine doubles victories apiece.
- The team finished the fall slate with a 26-14 mark in doubles play.
- Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) picked up her ninth singles win of the fall on Thursday, moving into a tie with Jhaveri and Claire Czerwonka for the team lead.
- As a team, the Brown & Gold finished a winning fall at 47-33 in singles action.
The spring season begins on Saturday, Jan. 18 as Valpo visits IUPUI.