Each of the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team’s three players who hail from the state of Wisconsin came away with a singles victory during this weekend’s trip to the Badger State. Freshman Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) accounted for Valpo’s lone singles triumph in a 6-1 setback to host Green Bay on Sunday afternoon at the Green Bay Tennis Center.
How It Happened
- Olivia’s victory came in straight sets over Green Bay sophomore Yasmin Glazbrook as she came up with a 6-3, 6-4 victory.
- Valpo dropped the doubles point by virtue of setbacks at No. 1 and No. 3. The No. 2 doubles match involving Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) and Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) was tied 3-3 with Valpo holding a slight edge in the seventh game at the time play was halted.
- Three of Green Bay’s five singles victories required third sets to be decided. Junior Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) fell 7-6(4), 4-6, 7-5 at No. 1, while Schoolcraft’s No. 4 singles match was also tight with the Phoenix winning 6-4, 4-6, 7-5. Jhaveri came back to force a third set at No. 5, but fell 6-3, 6-7(3), 6-4.
Inside the Match
- Senior Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) and the Czerwonka sisters all played their first collegiate matches in their home state of Wisconsin this weekend. All three notched a singles win against either Milwaukee or Green Bay.
- Olivia’s win on Sunday was her 10th of the season, allowing her to become the fifth Valpo player with double-figure singles wins this year.
Valpo (3-3) will round out a stretch of five straight road matches to start the spring season on Saturday at 1 p.m. at UIC. It will mark the fourth time in five matches Valpo has faced a Horizon League member.