Valparaiso University tennis freshman Moira Silva (Houston, Texas / Houston Tennis Academy) will play for a Missouri Valley Conference championship on Sunday. She kept her perfect collegiate singles record intact on Saturday by earning a Flight 2 Singles semifinal victory at the MVC Individual Championships in Springfield, Mo.
How It Happened
- Silva moved on to the Flight 2 Singles title match by improving to 3-0 this weekend. She dispatched Illinois State’s Alexandra Abyasova in a pair of tight sets – 7-5, 6-4 – in a semifinal match on Saturday. Silva has not dropped a set in the tournament. The rookie will match up with Bradley’s Mariia Pukhima for the Flight 2 Singles conference crown.
- In the Flight 1 doubles semifinal, the Valpo tandem of Silva and Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) fell to UIC on Saturday and will play for third on Sunday.
- Czerwonka rolled to a 6-4, 6-0 win over UNI’s Darta Dalecka in the Flight 1 Singles consolation draw. She will play for fifth place on Sunday.
Inside the Matches
- Silva upped her season record to a still-flawless 8-0 on the season.
- Czerwonka picked up her 52nd career singles win, moving into a tie for sixth in program history alongside Kate Kollarova (2002-2006) and Whitney Chada (2003-2007).
Play will begin at 9 a.m. CT on Sunday in Springfield, Mo. Czerwonka will play in the Flight 1 Singles fifth-place match, Silva will play for the Flight 2 Singles title and Czerwonka/Silva will play in the Flight 1 Doubles third-place match.