The Valparaiso University tennis team stretched its winning streak to five and started the program’s spring break trip on a high note on Monday, downing Skidmore 7-0 at Hillsborough CC in Tampa, Fla.
How It Happened
- Valpo garnered wins on the No. 1 and No. 3 singles doubles courts. Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and Moira Silva (Houston, Texas / Houston Tennis Academy) were the first to finish as they earned a 6-3 success at No. 1, then the Beacons clinched the doubles point when Eleanor Chapman (East Sussex, England / Eastbourne College [UT Martin / Lipscomb]) and Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) wrapped up a 6-4 win at No. 3.
- Czerwonka made quick work of Maya Lal at the top singles spot, dropping just one game in a 6-0, 6-1 victory.
- The order of finish mirrored the lineup order at spots one through four. At second singles, Silva grabbed a 6-3, 6-1 win over Grace Truong.
- Jhaveri’s win also came in straight sets at No. 3 as she picked up a 6-2, 6-1 win to clinch the team match.
- At fourth singles, Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) cruised through the first set before winning a closer second stanza to take the match 6-0, 6-4.
- At No. 6, Elizabeth Sobieski (Muskego, Wis. / Muskego) finalized a 6-2, 6-1 triumph, while Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) won 6-2, 6-3 at No. 5 in the final match to reach a conclusion.
Inside the Match
- This marks the team’s longest winning streak in 17 years as the program last won five straight in April 2006.
- Czerwonka picked up her 57th career doubles win, second in program history.
- Czerwonka increased her career singles win total to 59 and improved to 13-2 this season including 9-0 in dual matches. With Monday’s win, Czerwonka now owns sole possession of third in program history, snapping a tie with Mara Sonkin (2000-2004) and Christina Scala (2000-2004).
- Tabanera garnered her 46th career singles win, snapping a tie with Monika Danko (2001-2005) to move into sole possession of 10th in program lore.
- At 8-1 through nine matches, this marks Valpo’s best record at this point in the season in over a quarter of a century.
- Skidmore was ranked No. 31 nationally in NCAA Division-III.
The Beacons (8-1) will look to keep the wins coming when they face off with Hillsborough on Tuesday at 1 p.m. in the Sunshine State.