The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s track and field teams were back in action indoors Friday evening after the holiday break, traveling to Grand Valley State University for the Bob Eubanks Open. The men took home third place, while the women came away with a sixth-place performance.
How It Happened
- For the men, Valpo had two second-place finishes for the day. Freshman Benjamin Sekuloski ran a 50.60 in the 400-meter dash to secure the top finish for a Crusader runner at the meet. In the weight throw event, junior Andrew Guzek recorded a toss of 55’11 1/4" to lead the throwers.
- Valparaiso had two top-four runners in the mile race. Sophomore Alexander Bruno (4:26.62) took third place, finishing just in front of teammate junior Ben Zibricky (4:28.57).
- Junior sprinter James Sampson ran a 7.09 in the 60-meter dash to finish in third place.
- On the women’s side, senior Liz Owen earned a first and third-place finish in two distance races for Valpo. The veteran ran a 2:16.48 in the 800-meter race to cross the line in first and ran a 5:04.09 in the mile to tally third.
- Freshman Anne Mou leaped 35’1” in the triple jump to land in third place for Valpo. Mou’s jump placed the rookie fourth all-time in the event in Crusader track and field history.
- Sophomore thrower Nellie Bonham threw a team best of 39’8 1/2” in the shot put to finish in fifth place.
The Crusaders travel east for an in-state meet at the Fort Wayne Duals on Saturday, Jan. 21.