The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s track and field teams split up this weekend as part of the team went east for the Meyo Invitational held at Notre Dame, while the rest of the squad traveled west to the Windy City Invitational in Chicago, held by the University of Chicago. At the Windy City Invite, the men finished in second place, just behind the host, while the women captured a fourth-place result.
How It Happened
- At the Meyo Invite, the men’s top finish was earned by junior Andrew Guzek (Valparaiso, Ind./Valparaiso), who placed ninth in the weight throw (59’10 1/2"). Freshman jumper Nick Ricks (St. Louis, Mo./Lutheran North) leaped a 46’0 1/2" in the triple jump, landing in third in program history.
- For the men at the Windy City Invite, four runners finished in the top sixth in the 3,000m event. Jack Mader was first (8:52.15), senior Dan Walters (Crown Point, Ind./Crown Point) in second (8:54.41), freshman Victor Fortin (East Peoria, Ill./Peoria Notre Dame) in fifth (9:00.33) and senior Max Morello (Plano, Ill./Plano) in sixth (9:06.53).
- In the mile event, junior Ben Zibricky (New Lenox, Ill./Lincoln Way Central) crossed the finish line for a second-place mark with a time of 4:22.23.
- Two Valpo throwers received second-place finishes in their respective events. Guzek had a weight throw of 54’4” and freshman Jake Rasawehr (Celina, Ohio/Celina) tossed the shot put 44’9 1/2".
- The field specialists for the women shined on Saturday as two jumpers combined for three top-four results in two events for the Crusaders. Freshman Anne Mou (Bloomingdale, Ill./Lake Park) earned first in the triple jump (36’7”) and fourth in the long jump (16’3”). Sophomore Chidimma Ozodi (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) leaped 16’10’ in the long jump to secure a second-place finish.
- Sophomore Abby Jankowski has a mark of 47’9” in the weight throw to notch second and sophomore Nellie Bonham (Palos Hills, Ill./Stagg) received third-place in shot put (39’6”).
The Crusader women are back in action on Friday, Feb. 10 at the Chicagoland Championships, hosted by North Central College. The men will compete on Saturday, Feb. 11 at the Chicagoland Championships.