Valparaiso (16-5, 6-1 Horizon)
Game #22: Wednesday, Jan. 30 - 6:05 p.m. CT
at Youngstown State (12-8, 4-3 Horizon)
Beeghly Center (6,500) - Youngstown, Ohio
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: The Valparaiso men’s basketball team puts its season-long six-game winning streak on the line Wednesday evening as the Crusaders travel to take on Youngstown State. Valpo, which has won four straight road games, is looking to extend its best start in the program’s Division I history.
Last Time Out: The Crusaders never flinched down the stretch as Green Bay made a run, getting a key 3-pointer from Ryan Broekhoff with under two minutes to play and hitting free throws down the stretch to remain in first place with a 73-61 victory over the Phoenix at the ARC last Wednesday evening. After scoring just seven points combined in the first half, Broekhoff and Kevin Van Wijk each scored 12 points in the second half to help Valpo to the victory.
Following the Crusaders: Radio - Valpo Sports Radio Network - WAKE (1500 AM, Valparaiso), WEFM (95.9 FM, Michigan City) - Todd Ickow (PxP) and Aaron Leavitt (Color)
Video - ESPN3.com exclusive
Links for the live audio and video, as well as live stats, will be available through ValpoAthletics.com.
Head Coach Bryce Drew: Bryce Drew (38-17) is in his second season at the helm of the Valparaiso men’s basketball program in 2012-2013 after leading the Crusaders to the Horizon League regular season title in his first year as head coach. Drew was named the Horizon League Coach of the Year after guiding Valpo to a 22-win campaign, including a 14-4 mark within the league to capture the title by two games. Drew ascended to the head coaching position on May 17, 2011 after spending six seasons as an assistant and associate head coach with the Crusaders.
Series History: Valparaiso holds a 26-8 advantage in the all-time series over Youngstown State and had captured 10 straight meetings since joining the Horizon League until the Penguins downed Valpo in the last meeting, 71-53 on Feb. 11, 2012 in Youngstown, Ohio. The Crusaders were without the services of Kevin Van Wijk in that game due to injury.
...and the @HorizonLeague
- @ValpoBasketball has been picked to win the @HorizonLeague regular season title.
- The Crusaders received 40 of the 44 first-place votes in the #HLMBB preseason poll.
- This marks the first season since 2002-03 (Mid-Con) that @ValpoBasketball has been preseason league favorites.
- The Crusaders were the only team to place two players on the #HLMBB preseason First Team All-League as well.
- @ValpoBasketball has also been tabbed the preseason @HorizonLeague favorite by @CBSSports and @AthlonSports, among others.
- The Crusaders were ranked seventh in the preseason Mid-Major Power Rankings by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- @ValpoBasketball is currently ranked 14th in the Mid-Major Top 25 poll, voted on by mid-major coaches and produced by @CollegeInsider.
- @ValpoBasketball earned 3 points in the preseason @AP_Top25 poll.
- The Crusaders had not received votes in a national poll since a 4-week stretch near the end of the 2010-11 season in the coaches poll.
...looking back at last year
- @ValpoBasketball claimed its first @HorizonLeague regular season title in 2011-12, winning the crown by two games.
- The Crusaders earned the right to host the #HLMBB postseason tournament by winning the regular season and advanced to the championship game.
- @ValpoBasketball played at Miami in the first round of the postseason NIT, the Crusaders’ 11th postseason trip in the last 17 years.
- The Crusaders won 22 games overall in 2011-12, their 12th 20-win season in the last 19 years.
- @ValpoBasketball boasted the #HLMBB Coach of the Year (Drew), Player of the Year (Broekhoff) and a second First Team selection (Van Wijk).
- @ValpoBasketball returns home for two more games in the coming week, hosting Milwaukee on February 1 and UIC on February 5.
- The Crusaders then play live on ESPN2 on Saturday afternoon, February 9 at Cleveland State.
Best D-I Start
- @ValpoBasketball has started this season 16-5, matching the program’s best record through 21 games at the Division I level.
- The Crusaders also started 16-5 in 1996-97 and 1998-99, eventually advancing to the NCAA Tournament both seasons.
- @ValpoBasketball is looking for its seventh straight win on Wednesday - all six wins in the current streak have come within league play.
- The Crusaders have not won seven consecutive games since an eight-game winning streak Nov. 23-Dec. 15, 2007.
- Valpo has not had a seven-game winning streak within conference play since winning nine Mid-Con games in a row Jan. 12-Feb. 14, 2002.
- @ValpoBasketball never trailed in its win over Green Bay last time out, as Erik Buggs hit a triple on the Crusaders’ first trip.
- It marked Valpo’s fifth win of the season in which it never trailed.
- The Crusaders also boast six other wins in which they have never trailed by more than three points.
- @ValpoBasketball rallied from a seven-point deficit in the final seven minutes for its win over Wright State two games back.
- The Crusaders were coming off their largest comeback win in at least 20 years, a 22-point second-half deficit in the win at Detroit.
- The Crusaders still trailed by 11 (88-77) with 3 minutes to play and had just a 0.5% chance to win (according to Ken Pomeroy) at that point.
- Valpo ended the Detroit game on a 12-0 run to earn the one-point win.
- Valpo did not lead until Broekhoff’s FTs with 17 seconds left - only St. Mary’s & Arizona have won this year while leading for less time.
Doing Work Late
- In its last 3 close games (at UIC, at Detroit, Wright St.), @ValpoBasketball has been efficient on offense in the last 4 minutes.
- The Crusaders scored on 10 of 11 possessions in the last 4 minutes at UIC, 6 of 7 at Detroit and all 8 against Wright State.
- Over those 3 games, Valpo is 15-16 from the floor, 6-6 from 3-point range and 18-21 from the foul line over the last 4 minutes.
- Broekhoff has 21 of those points, including 12 straight against Wright State, while Kenney has scored 14.
- Against Green Bay, Valpo scored on 7 of 9 possessions in the final four minutes, going 10-12 at the foul line and 1-3 from the floor.
Winning on the Road
- The Crusaders’ win at Detroit was their fourth straight road win, following victories at Milwaukee, UIC and Murray State.
- @ValpoBasketball is now 6-4 on the road this year - the Crusaders have not finished .500 or better in road games since the 2001-02 season.
- The four straight true road wins are the first for Valpo since Jan. 23-Feb. 27, 2003, when it won six consecutive road games.
That Doesn’t Happen Here Often
- @ValpoBasketball fell in its Horizon League home opener to Loyola, 63-54.
- The Crusaders lost their first home game of 2013 after going 15-1 at home in 2012 - the only loss coming in the HL title game.
- Valpo also lost its first HL home game last season (Milwaukee) before going 8-0 in league home games the rest of the way.
Change in the Lineup
- Head coach Bryce Drew changed the starting lineup for @ValpoBasketball for the first time this season on Dec. 20 vs. IUPUI.
- LaVonte Dority and Matt Kenney started for the Crusaders in place of Will Bogan and Erik Buggs.
- Then, vs. Purdue Calumet, Bobby Capobianco earned his first start as a Crusader as Ryan Broekhoff did not play.
- Both Bogan and Buggs were back in the starting lineup Jan. 4 vs. CSU, in place of Dority and Ben Boggs.
- Valpo is a perfect 12-0 this season when leading at halftime and 10-0 when scoring at least 70 points.
- The Crusaders’ 24-point win at Miwaukee (76-52) matched their largest victory in a league game since moving to the Horizon League.
- The 24-point margin was the largest by a Valpo team in a road league game since a 74-42 win at Chicago State on Jan. 21, 1999.
- The Crusaders have not lost two straight games this season and haven’t dropped back-to-back league games since Feb. 21/24, 2011.
- @ValpoBasketball tallied 16 steals in the win over Purdue Calumet, its most in a single game in over 10 years.
- The Crusaders’ 52 points in the paint vs. IUPUI are the most they’ve had in a single Division I game since at least 2005.
- The Crusaders won the Valparaiso Division of the Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic with their victories Thanksgiving weekend over CSU and B-CU.
- @ValpoBasketball has now claimed three in-season tournament titles over the last three seasons.
- With the win over Kent State, Valpo has now won three straight OT games and is 6-2 in extra time since the start of the 2010-2011 season.
- The Crusaders went 34-for-41 from the free throw line in the win over Kent State.
- Valpo had not hit 34 free throws in a single game since a Feb. 8, 1997 win over Northeastern Illinois.
- Valpo allowed 50 points or less in back-to-back games for the first time since Jan. 2003 (NIU 46, Nebraska 50).
- The 50 points scored by Nebraska was the fewest @ValpoBasketball has given up in a loss since Jan. 16, 1984 vs. Western Illinois (41-40).
- Valpo hit 13-of-24 from behind the 3-point line in each of its first two games of the season.
- Valpo hit over 50% from behind the arc in consecutive games for the first time since Jan. 2007 (11-20 vs. IUPUI, 12-16 at WIU).
- Valpo defeated Georgia Southern by 31 points in its opener, its largest season-opening win over a D-I school since moving to D-I.
- Youngstown State enters Wednesday’s game at 12-8 overall and 4-3 in Horizon League play.
- The Penguins have won three straight within league play, winning at Milwaukee before returning home with wins over WSU and CSU.
- The Penguins average 71.1 points per game, led by 15.7 points and 4.3 assists per game from Kendrick Perry.
- Damian Eargle adds 12.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game, while Blake Allen chips in 11.4 ppg.
- Bryce Drew is in his second season as head coach of @ValpoBasketball and is in his eighth season overall on the coaching staff.
- Drew was named #HLMBB Coach of the Year in 2011-12 in his first season as head coach.
- Drew was the first Crusader men’s basketball Coach of the Year since 2001-02, when dad Homer won the honor in the Mid-Con.
- Drew led the Crusaders to 22 wins and the @HorizonLeague regular season title in his first year at the helm.
- Prior to coaching, Drew spent seven seasons playing professionally, including six seasons in the NBA.
- Drew was a two-time Mid-Con MVP in his playing days with @ValpoBasketball, helping the team to three NCAA tournament appearances.
- Drew hit “The Shot”, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer in the first round of the 1998 NCAA tournament, to lift the Crusaders over @OleMissMBB.
- “The Shot” was just named one of the top-35 All-Time Madness Moments by the NCAA as part of the celebration of 75 Years of March Madness.
- Bryce is the third member of the Drew family to serve as head coach of @ValpoBasketball.
- Father Homer was head coach from 1988-2002, and then returned to lead Valpo from 2003-11.
- Brother Scott (current head coach of @BaylorMBB) led the Crusaders during the 2002-03 season after nine seasons as an assistant under Homer.
- A Drew has been at the helm of the Crusaders for the last 24+ years. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- The Drew family has combined to lead @ValpoBasketball to 429 victories and 11 postseason appearances. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- Overall, the trio of Drews owns 867 collegiate victories over a combined 43+ seasons of head coaching. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- Ryan Broekhoff was named the #HLMBB Player of the Year in 2011-12 after helping guide @ValpoBasketball to the regular season title.
- Broekhoff was also named an Honorable Mention All-American by the @AP.
- Broekhoff has been picked as a Preseason First Team All-@HorizonLeague member entering his senior season.
- Broekhoff earned Lou Henson Award mid-season award honors from College Insider.
- Broekhoff was chosen as a preseason Third Team Mid Major All-American by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- Broekhoff appeared on @CBSSports lists by @jeffborzello of the nation’s top-30 under-the-radar players (#6) and top-50 wings (#43).
- Broekhoff also was picked as the nation’s #28 shooter by @goodman_CBS on his list of top-50 shooters.
- Broekhoff was selected to the Australian Boomers squad, Australia’s senior national team, in the summer of 2012.
- Broekhoff was one of 25 players called into the 2012 @aussieboomers squad to try out for the Olympic team.
- Broekhoff was on the 12-man roster for the @aussieboomers YouYi Games series against China, making his senior international debut.
- Broekhoff saw 23 minutes of action for @aussieboomers in the three-game series, scoring four points and grabbing a pair of rebounds.
- Broekhoff was one of 15 finalists for Australia’s 12-man Olympic squad.
- Broekhoff previously represented Australia in the World University Games (2011) and the @FIBA U19 World Championships (2009).
- Broekhoff has three times been named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week this season.
- Broekhoff hit a career-best 14-15 from the free throw line, going for 19 points and nine rebounds last time out versus Green Bay.
- Broekhoff scored 12 points in the final 2:17 of Valpo’s come-from-behind win over Wright State, ending with 18 pts/10 reb.
- Broekhoff hit the go-ahead free throws with 17 seconds left at Detroit, finishing a line of 18 pts/9 reb/5 ast/3 stl/2 blk.
- Broekhoff posted double-doubles in Valpo’s first two HL road games - 21 pts/10 reb at UIC, 26 pts/10 reb (career-high 7 3’s) at Milwaukee.
- Broekhoff DNP for the first time in his career Dec. 22 vs. Purdue Calumet, snapping streaks of 113 straight games and 50 straight starts.
- Broekhoff matched his career high in the first half alone in the win over Bethune-Cookman, scoring 26 points (7-8 FG, 3-3 3PT, 9-9 FT).
- Broekhoff ended the win over the Wildcats with 30 points and seven rebounds.
- Broekhoff scored 16 of Valpo’s 23 first-half points in the win over Northern Illinois, ending the game with 20 points and 13 rebounds.
- Broekhoff leads the league in rebounding (8.5 rpg) and FT% (.912), and also ranks among the top-5 in scoring, FG%, FT%, 3PT% and 3PTM.
- Broekhoff is the only player ranked among the top-10 in the nation in both FT% and 3PT%, and is among the top-80 in four other stats.
- Broekhoff moved into @ValpoBasketball’s all-time top-20 in career points at Saint Louis and now ranks 12th with 1,418 career points.
- Broekhoff also ranks 4th in rebounds (770), 6th in blocks (87), 3rd in 3-pointers (222), 7th in 3PT% (.416) and 7th in FT% (.819).
- Broekhoff led @ValpoBasketball, averaging 14.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game in 2011-12.
- Broekhoff led the @HorizonLeague in rebounding and finished fourth in the league in scoring.
- Broekhoff’s total of 290 rebounds on the year was sixth-highest in a single season in program history.
- Broekhoff became the 31st player in @ValpoBasketball history to score 1,000 career points, surpassing the milestone Feb. 17 at @LMULions.
Kevin Van Wijk
- Van Wijk was named a Preseason First Team All @HorizonLeague choice entering the 2012-13 season.
- Van Wijk scored 12 second-half points last time out in the win over Green Bay.
- Van Wijk was named HL Player of the Week after scoring 49 points on 79.2% shooting in Valpo’s wins against WSU and Detroit.
- Van Wijk tied for team-high honors with 18 points on 6-of-9 shooting in the win over WSU, also tallying seven rebounds and four assists.
- Van Wijk had a career game in the comeback win at Detroit, going 13-of-15 from the floor for a career-high 31 points.
- Van Wijk has scored in double figures in 16 of 21 games this season.
- Van Wijk currently leads the Horizon League with a .626 field goal percentage.
- Van Wijk is eight made baskets shy of qualifying for the national stat leaders, where he would rank in the top-10 in FG%.
- Van Wijk now tops Valpo’s career FG% chart, connecting at a .602 clip for his career.
- Van Wijk set a then-career high with 25 points (6-8 FG, 13-14 FT) in the OT win over Kent State, including the game-tying putback.
- Van Wijk’s 13 free throw makes against the Flashes also were a new career high.
- Van Wijk is coming off a junior season where he was named a First Team All-League selection.
- Van Wijk ranked second on @ValpoBasketball in scoring (14.1 ppg) in 2011-12 and also averaged 5.2 rebounds per game.
- Van Wijk led all #HLMBB players with a 61.7% FG pct, good for fifth in the nation and third-best in a single season in Crusader history.
- Van Wijk was twice named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week (Jan. 16 and Nov. 21).
- Buggs is currently ranked second in the league in steals and eighth in assists.
- Buggs set a new career high with six steals and also tallied nine points and five assists last time out in the win over Green Bay.
- Buggs posted eight points, five rebounds and six assists in the win at Detroit, including a pair of assists in the game-closing run.
- Buggs returned to the starting five Jan. 4 vs. Cleveland St., matching a career high with four steals.
- Buggs came off the bench in the win over IUPUI Dec. 20, snapping a streak of 70 consecutive starts.
- Buggs opened the season with a career-high nine assists to go with six points in the Crusaders’ win over Georgia Southern.
- Buggs tallied seven more assists in Valpo’s win over Northern Illinois, and added six assists vs. Chicago State and at #18/20 New Mexico.
- Buggs came up just one point shy of his career high with 15 points in the OT win at Kent State.
- Buggs currently ranks fifth in @ValpoBasketball history with 375 career assists, as well as tenth in steals (139).
- Buggs led the Crusaders last year with 103 assists, ranking tenth in the @HorizonLeague.
- Buggs also ranked among the top-10 of #HLMBB players in ast/turnover ratio (1.4, 7th) and steals/gm (1.2, 10th).
- Kenney came up one rebound shy of a double-double, going for 10 points and nine rebounds last time out in the win over Green Bay.
- Kenney posted near-season highs across the board with 15 points, four rebounds and six assists in the win over WSU.
- Kenney hit a pair of 3-pointers in the game-closing run at Detroit and ended the night scoring 12 points on four triples.
- Kenney paced the Crusaders for the second time this year, scoring 14 points in the win Jan. 4 over Cleveland State.
- Kenney made his first start in nearly a year Dec. 20 against IUPUI.
- Kenney responded with 15 points and six assists in the victory over the Jaguars, one off his season high in both categories.
- Kenney scored all 16 of his points in the win over Northern Illinois in the second half.
- Kenney was a perfect 6-for-6 from the floor (3-for-3 from 3-point range) over a span of 9:31 against the Huskies.
- Kenney filled up the stat sheet in the OT win at Kent State, finishing with 16 points, six rebounds and five assists.
- Kenney matched his career high with seven assists while not committing a turnover in the Crusaders’ win vs. Chicago State.
- Kenney currently ranks 13th in @ValpoBasketball history with 298 career assists.
- Kenney averaged 7.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game as a junior for the Crusaders in 2011-12.
- Kenney came off the bench for his final 19 games of the season, but still finished second on the team with 27.8 minutes/gm.
- Bogan connected on three 3-pointers in the win over Wright State.
- Bogan returned to the starting lineup Jan. 4 against CSU, scoring 13 points on 5-of-6 shooting from the floor, including three 3’s.
- Bogan scored a season-high 14 points, hitting four 3-pointers, in Valpo’s win over Purdue Calumet Dec. 22.
- Bogan connected on three 3-pointers for 11 points in Valpo’s win over Bethune-Cookman to cap the Nebraska Classic.
- Bogan started 32 games in his first season with @ValpoBasketball in 2011-12, averaging 7.2 points per game.
- Bogan ranked second among Crusaders with 61 3-pointers and hit from downtown at a 40.9% clip.
- Bogan’s 3-point percentage ranked seventh in the Horizon League and is tied for ninth-best in a single season in @ValpoBasketball history.
- Bogan was named @ValpoAthletics male newcomer of the year by Valpo’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
- Bogan made a career-high seven 3-pointers and scored 24 points in the Crusaders’ win at Detroit Jan. 6, 2012.
- Boggs played seven key second-half minutes in the win at UIC after sitting out the first half.
- Boggs missed the Cleveland State game, snapping streaks of 35 straight starts and 39 straight games played.
- Boggs scored five straight points to give Valpo the lead for good late in the win at Murray State Dec. 29.
- Boggs scored a season-best 12 points in both of Valpo’s pre-Christmas wins over IUPUI and Purdue Calumet.
- Boggs posted nine points and tied a career high with eight rebounds in the Crusaders’ win over Chicago State.
- Boggs became eligible after the end of the first semester last year for @ValpoBasketball and appeared in 24 games, starting 20.
- Boggs averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds per game for the Crusaders, who were 14-6 in his starts.
- Boggs shot better than 80% from the free throw line in his first season with Valpo, second-best on the team.
- Capobianco debuted for Valpo against Chicago State after missing the Crusaders’ first four regular season games due to injury.
- Capobianco doubled up in his debut, posting 10 points and grabbing 11 rebounds, including six offensive, against the Cougars.
- Capobianco’s double-double was the first in a Valpo debut since Mohamed Kone vs. IPFW on Nov. 23, 2005 (15 pts, 11 reb).
- Capobianco made his first Crusader start Dec. 22 vs. Purdue Calumet.
- Capobianco scored 10 points and grabbed seven rebounds, including five offensive, in the win Dec. 20 against IUPUI.
- Capobianco played his first two seasons at @IndianaMBB and sat out last season after transferring to @ValpoBasketball.
- Capobianco has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Dority returned to his hometown of Chicago with an 18-point, four-assist performance in the win at UIC.
- Dority made his Crusader debut with a game-high 20 points in Valpo’s win at Missouri State.
- Dority became the first Crusader to debut with a 20+ point effort since Brandon Wood dropped 25 at Ball State in Nov. of 2009.
- Dority again led Valpo in the loss at Oakland, scoring 14 points.
- Dority led the Crusaders for the third time in his first four games with a 19-point effort versus Purdue Calumet.
- Dority transferred to Valpo from South Florida at the semester break last year.
- Dority appeared in 35 games over his one and a half seasons with the Bulls.
- Dority has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Coleman approached a double-double with nine points and a season-best eight rebounds Jan. 4 in the win over Cleveland State.
- Coleman tallied 10 points Dec. 29 in the Crusaders’ win at Murray State.
- Coleman led the Crusaders with four steals in their win Dec. 22 against Purdue Calumet.
- Coleman made his Crusader debut against Georgia Southern, scoring 15 points and grabbing five rebounds off the bench.
- Coleman knocked down the first five 3-point attempts of his Crusader career before missing his only try from deep at Nebraska.
- Coleman had three dunks against Chicago State and leads the Crusaders with six dunks on the season.
- Coleman is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after transferring from Southwestern Illinois College.
- Coleman was an All-Conference selection for SWIC last season, finishing second on the team with 10.2 ppg.
- Coleman started his collegiate career as a freshman at @HawaiiAthletics.
- Fernandez scored four points in just five minutes of play last time out at UWM, including a two-handed dunk while being fouled.
- Fernandez pulled down a season-high six rebounds Dec. 22 in the win verus Purdue Calumet.
- Fernandez recorded a team-high four blocked shots in the Crusaders’ win over Northern Illinois.
- Fernandez is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball this season after sitting out the 2011-12 season and has 3 years of eligibility left.
- Fernandez made his senior international debut this past summer for Jamaica (@goteamja) at the FIBA Centrobasket tournament.
- Fernandez helped @goteamja to a 3rd place finish, its best ever at Centrobasket.
- Fernandez debuted in a win over the USVI and also played in the bronze-medal win over Panama.
- Rossi connected on the first five field goals of his Valpo career before missing his only attempt from the floor at Nebraska.
- Rossi debuted with 11 minutes of play in the season opener against Georgia Southern, hitting all three of his 3-point attempts for 9 points.
- Rossi scored five points and grabbed two rebounds in 14 minutes Dec. 22 against Purdue Calumet.
- Rossi handed out six assists without committing a turnover in the first exhibition win for Valpo over St. Joe’s.
- Rossi is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after spending his first two years at @calmensbball.
- Rossi has three seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Carter enrolled in classes at Valpo for the spring semester and will have 3 seasons of eligibility at the end of the 2013 fall semester.
- Carter transferred to the Crusaders from Saint Louis at the semester break.
- Carter was the runner-up for Illinois Mr. Basketball 2012 to Duke commit Jabari Parker.
- Carter was a First Team All-State honoree as a senior, leading Proviso East to a 32-1 record and a berth in the 4A state title game.