The Valparaiso University men’s golf team opened up its first-ever home destination tournament on Monday with the start of the Dove Mountain Intercollegiate at The Golf Club at Dove Mountain in Marana, Ariz. The Beacons are in second place on the team leaderboard, while Caleb VanArragon (Blaine, Minn. / Blaine) holds the No. 2 position on the player leaderboard.
How It Happened
- VanArragon carded a 70 (-2) in the opening round of the event, which is hosted at the par-72, 7291-yard course. He followed that up with an even par in Round 2 to finish the day at 142 (-2), second among 41 participants. VanArragon is chasing only Jose Luis Ballester of Arizona State, who sits at 138 (-6) and holds the lead for medalist honors.
- Freshman Anthony Delisanti (Sanborn, N.Y. / Niagara Wheatfield) was second on the team on Day 1 of the event, checking in at 153, tied for 13th. He carded a 75 (+3) in Round 1 before following up with a 78 (+6) in Round 2.
- Also finishing the day in the top 20 was Yianni Kostouros (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point [Ball State]), who sits in 18th place behind a strong opening round of 76 (+4) on the challenging course. The team’s other sub-80 score on the day came from Sam Booth (Carmel, Ind. / Carmel), who trimmed five strokes off his Round-1 score with a 78 in Round 2.
- As a team, Valpo possesses a score of 611 after going 303-308 for the day. The Beacons are second behind North Dakota State’s 597. The Bison and Beacons are the only teams that finished Round 2 as UNI, Bradley and Chicago State had the end of their second round cut short due to darkness. Those who still need to close out Round 2 will do so prior to beginning Round 3 on Tuesday morning. Arizona and Arizona State are represented in the tournament by individuals only rather than full teams.
Inside the Rounds
- Valpo produced a tournament-most 24 birdies on the opening day of competition.
- Valpo also ranked second in the field with 95 pars.
- VanArragon accounted for 10 birdies, by far the most in the field. No other player had more than seven on Monday.
The remainder of the event will take place on Tuesday beginning at 8 a.m. Mountain Time / 9 a.m. Central. A link to live scoring via GolfStat is available on ValpoAthletics.com.