The Valparaiso University men’s soccer team fell 2-0 on Saturday night at Engelmann Stadium in Milwaukee. A brace by Evan Conway paved the way for the Panthers’ victory. Valpo outshot the hosts on a night where both goalkeepers made five saves.
How It Happened
- After Valpo goalkeeper Edvin Holst (Stockholm, Sweden / Viktor Ryberg Gynasmisum Jaraplan) made a pair of early saves, Conway headed one into the back of the net for the first goal of the match after a give-and-go from Joshua Kidder.
- Conway placed two more shots on frame in the 24th and 26th minutes, but Holst was there to turn them away to keep it 1-0 in favor of the Panthers (7-6-1).
- Mason Marcey (Charlotte, N.C. / Charlotte Christian [Radford]) and Dylan Waugaman (Houston, Texas / Friendswood [Oregon State]) each put shots on goal in the final 20 minutes of the first half, but Milwaukee goalkeeper Freddy Lorenzen came up with the saves.
- Just over a minute into the second half, Conway scored off a corner kick to make it 2-0. Vuk Latinovich and Joshua Kidder were both credited with assists.
- In the 50th and 52nd minutes, the two teams exchanged shots on goal, with Valpo’s coming courtesy of Demar Rose (Kingston, Jamaica / Wolmer’s Boys School). Both keepers made saves to keep it 2-0.
- Valpo peppered the frame with three shots on goal in a five-minute span starting in the 76th minute, but all were saved including a Jonas Engler (Illingen, Germany / Georg Kerschensteiner Scule) effort toward the bottom left corner of the net that required a team save by a Milwaukee field player.
Inside the Game
- Holst added to his season save count by grabbing five more to boost his total to 50.
- None of Valpo’s eight away matches have come against a team that entered the contest with a losing record. Valpo played its third of five straight on the road on Saturday.
- Valpo outshot the Panthers 15-13 and placed six shots on goal.
- Marcey booted a team-high six shots, including two on frame.
Valpo (2-9-1) will return to Missouri Valley Conference action on Wednesday night at Drake at 6 p.m. on ESPN+. Links to live video and stats will be available on ValpoAthletics.com.