The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s swimming teams competed in the Indiana Intercollegiates Saturday at Purdue University in the Boilermaker Aquatic Center. Both squads finished in seventh place, as the men earned 90 points and the women received 67 to finish out the day. Each team picked up top-five place finishes in the 200 freestyle relay.
How It Happened
- For the men, the young team of freshman Peyton Stambeck (Bartlesvilles, Okla./Bartlesville), sophomore Mac Sogandares (Reston, Va./South Lakes), sophomore Colten Lawson (West Bend, Wis./West Bend East) and freshman Harrison Jenny (New Albany, Ohio, New Albany) garnered a third-place finish in the 200 free relay with a time of 1:28.67, surpassing all but two times from the season-best list from a year ago.
- Stambeck also registered a top-ten finish in the 100 butterfly. The time of 54.04 pushed the rookie to receive an eighth-place spot.
- Freshman Dylan Ogle (Simpsonville, S.C./ Mauldin) swam a 4:54.49 in the 500 freestyle to place tenth for the Crusaders.
- On the women’s side, the group of Emily Trimpe (New Palestine, Ind./New Palestine), Amanda Jenny (New Albany, Ohio/ New Albany), Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./ Lake County Lutheran) and Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honor) finished fourth in the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1:42.63 – better than all but one time from last season.
- The Crusaders tabbed a tenth-place finish in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:55.87 swam by Wright, Emily Baumgartner (Fishers, Ind./Fishers), Martins and Trimpe.
- Wright just missed entering the Valpo all-time top-ten in the 100 freestyle with her time of 54.92.
Valparaiso takes a week off from competition and visits Eastern Illinois on Saturday, Oct. 29. The meet is slated to begin at 1 p.m.