The Valpo men’s and women’s swimming teams hosted their second home meet of the season Saturday afternoon against Saginaw Valley State University at the ARC pool. Two individual event wins apiece from freshman Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) and senior Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) led the Valpo women as the Brown and Gold defeated the Cardinals.
How It Happened
- Valpo’s first win of the day came in the women’s 400 medley relay, with the team of Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich/Milan), DePover, Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran), and Morgan Markley (Bluffton, Ind./Norwell). The team clocked a final time of 4:04.06, just .25 away from cracking Valpo’s all-time top-10 in the event.
- Wright grabbed the second victory for the women in the 200 free, clocking a time of 1:56.90. She would win her second individual event in the 500 free with a time of 5:17.21.
- DePover’s first individual win came in the 200 fly, recording a season-best time of 2:18.06. She would grab her second win in the 200 breaststroke (2:32.36).
- Markley picked up an individual event win as well in the 50 free, as she touched the wall at 25.47.
- The Valpo women would win one more team event in the 400 relay as the team of Martins, Markley, Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon), and Wright posted a time of 3:43.00 to end the impressive day on the women’s side.
- Brendon Johnson (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) picked up the first victory for the Valpo men in the 400 IM, touching the wall first at 4:22.88.
- Freshman Ethan Johnson (Ames, Iowa/Ames) added nine points to the men’s score as well, winning the 200 backstroke (2:04.06).
- Freshman Brian Daniels (Brookfield, Wis./Brookfield East) placed second in the 1650 free (17:01.28), moving into ninth in program history in the event.
- The team of E. Johnson, Gus Rytting (Houston, Texas/Lamar), Brett Strongman (Wolverine Lake, Mich/Walled Lake Central) and Adam Chwieros (Lake Villa, Ill./Grayslake North) notched a second-place finish in the 400 medley relay, stopping the clock at 3:44.62.
- The Valpo women won the scoring over SVSU 118-116, as the men fell by a score of 140-65.
Valpo will travel to Chicago, Ill. for the Phoenix Fall Classic to close out their fall semester competition schedule. The three-day event begins on Friday, Nov. 22.