The Valpo men’s and women’s swimming teams competed in their final away meet of the season at the Butler Invitational on Sunday in Fishers, Ind. Senior Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) had the top individual finish for the Brown and Gold, earning a fourth-place finish in the 200 free, and was one of three swimmers to pick up two top-10 finishes, joined by freshman Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan) and sophomore Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central).
How It Happened
- The women got off to a strong start, as the team of Wright, Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island), Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran) and Morgan Markley (Bluffton, Ind./Norwell) placed sixth in the 200-medley relay with a time of 1:51.64.
- Morelock’s first top-10 came in the 1650 free, as she touched the wall in ninth place with a time of 18:32.24. Later in the meet, the freshman finished seventh in the 200-back, stopping the clock at 2:12.00.
- Wright placed the highest in any event Sunday for a Valpo individual, recording a time of 1:58.39 in the 200-free to place fourth, while Markley finished eighth in the same event (1:59.58). Wright also finished sixth in the 500 free (5:14.13).
- DePover recorded the second-best individual finish by a Valpo swimmer on Sunday, coming in fifth in the 100-breaststroke with a time of 1:08.79.
- In the final event for the women, the team of Wright, Martins, Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon) and Markley touched the wall at 3:41.59 to record a fourth-place finish in the 400-free relay.
- On the men’s side, freshman Brian Daniels (Brookfield, Wis./Brookfield East) recorded the first top-10 finish of the day, placing seventh in the 1650-free (17:03.64).
- May followed up with an eighth-place finish in the 200 free (1:46.23), and added a 10th -place finish in the 100-free (48.63) later in the meet.
- Gus Rytting (Houston, Texas/Lamar) put together a strong effort in the 100-breaststroke, coming home ninth with a time of 1:01.56.
- The team of Derek Eidson (Ventura Calif./Ventura), Daniels, Austin Scheer (Indianapolis Ind./Bishop Chatard) and May closed out the day for the men in the 400-free relay, finishing 10th in the event and clocking a time of 3:19.64.
- The women posted a score of 199.5 points, while the men totaled 145 points.
The final competitive tune-up prior to conference meets comes next Saturday at the ARC pool as the Valpo women host Indiana State. The first event Saturday is slated for a 1 p.m. start.