The Valpo men’s swimming team kicked off day one of the Summit League Championships in Sioux Falls, S.D. on Thursday with three program-record swims. It started with a school-record swim in the 50-free preliminary round by junior Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central), while the night session featured a pair of new program records in relay events.
How It Happened
- May smashed the school record in the 50-free in the preliminary round, posting a time of 20.50 — a full half-second better than his previous best in the event, and the top qualifying time among all swimmers. In the final round, the junior clocked a 20.55 to tie for fourth overall in the event.
- In the 200-free relay, the team of Brett Little (Princeton, Iowa/North Scott), Adam Chwieros (Lake Villa, Ill./Grayslake North), Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) and May clocked a team time of 1:23.51 to break the previous school record and place third overall in the event.
- Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura), Bennett, Brett Strongman (Wolverine Lake, Mich./Walled Lake Central) and May shattered the program record in the 400-medley relay, clocking a team time of 3:23.66 to finish fourth in the event.
- Eidson placed ninth in the 100-fly and improved on his third-best time in program history in the event, touching the wall in 51.16. Strongman moved into seventh all-time at Valpo in the event as well, clocking a 52.02.
- Gus Rytting (Houston, Texas/Lamar) finished 12th overall in the 200 IM, clocking a 1:56.46, which moves him into fourth all-time at Valpo.
- Bennett posted a prelim time of 21.64 Thursday morning in the 50 free, good for 10th in program history.
- Brian Daniels (Brookfield, Wis./Brookfield East) finished in eighth place in the 500 free with a finals time of 4:44.68 after posting a prelim time of 4:43.43.
- The men finish day one in fifth place with 103.5 points.
The Summit League Championships continue on Friday, April 16 with the second day of competition. Prelims start at 10 a.m., with event finals at 5 p.m.