The second day of competition at the A3 Performance Invite in Carbondale, Ill. for the Valpo swimming teams saw four more swimmers crack the program’s individual top-10 charts on Friday.
How It Happened
- Freshman Ethan Welker (Clear Spring, Md./Saint James School) had the highest placement of any Valpo swimmer in terms of the program’s all-time charts on Friday, as his prelim time of 4:07.54 in the 400 IM is third-best in program history.
- Welker went on to an eighth-place finish in the evening event final, while fellow rookie Andrew Berzai (South Bend, Ind./Mishawaka Marian) placed 11th with a time of 4:10.81 in the finals, sixth-best all-time at Valpo.
- A third men’s swimmer posted a top-10 time in program history on Friday, as sophomore Aidan Nichols (Villa Park, Ill./Willowbrook) placed 11th in the 100 breast, touching the wall in 59.70 — tied for 10th-fastest all-time. The program record holder in the event, senior Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) finished fourth with a time of 56.55, not far off his school record.
- Senior Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) tallied Valpo’s best finish of the day in the pool, swimming to a third-place finish in the 200 free with a time of 1:39.74. Fellow senior Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura) notched a 10th-place finish in the 100 fly with a time of 51.51.
- The 200 medley relay squad of Eidson, Bennett, Welker and May moved into fifth in program history, as the quartet combined to complete the race in 1:34.35.
- On the women’s side, two swimmers broke into Valpo’s all-time best on Friday. Freshman Bridget Pollard (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield South) touched the wall in 59.40 in the 100 fly, good for 12th place and the eighth-best time in program history.
- Meanwhile, fellow rookie Sara Strauss (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake) now ranks ninth all-time at Valpo in the 100 breast after posting a prelim time of 1:09.08.
- Sophomore Kenzie Conn (Celina, Ohio/Celina) had the top finish by a Valpo women’s swimmer on the day, placing ninth in the 100 back with a time of 59.30.
- The Valpo men are in fourth place with one day of action left, having compiled 213 points, while the women are in fifth with 129 points.
Valpo concludes the three-day meet from Carbondale on Saturday. Prelims are scheduled to start at 10 a.m.