The Valparaiso University men’s tennis team was represented on the first day of the ITA Midwest Regional at Eck Tennis Pavilion in Notre Dame, Ind. on Thursday. A pair of Valpo players – juniors Gabriel Carvajal (Pembroke Pines, Fla. / Broward Virtual School [Florida Atlantic]) and Daniel Langston (Ponca City, Okla. / Ponca City) – prevailed in their opening-round qualifying matches.
How It Happened
- Langston started his day by earning a 6-3, 7-6(4) victory over Toledo’s Danilo Vukotic in the Round of 64.
- Carvajal also notched a victory in the Round of 64, topping Marquette’s Julian Robinson in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.
- Both Carvajal and Langston dropped their Round of 32 matches. Carvajal came up shy against Youngstown State’s Danylo Veremeichuk 6-2, 7-5, while Langston succumbed to DePaul’s Tripp Tuff 7-6, 6-3.
- Brian Pecyna (Glen Ellyn, Ill. / Homeschooled), Nick Marino (Northbrook, Ill. / Glenbrook North) and Franklin Brozovich (Fort Gratiot, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) all participated in singles qualifying on Thursday and dropped their Round of 64 matches.
Inside the Matches
- Langston’s victory marked his sixth of the season and the 19th of his collegiate career.
- Carvajal’s win was No. 6 this fall and No. 22 in his Valpo career.
Day 2 of the ITA Midwest Regional will take place on Friday with the continuation of qualifying singles and the first three rounds of main draw doubles. Main draw singles will begin on Saturday.