The Valparaiso University men’s tennis team played well up and down the lineup on Saturday evening, cruising to a 7-0 victory over Lamar in a neutral-site match in Tulsa, Okla. The victory allowed Valpo to cap the road trip with a perfect 2-0 record.
How It Happened
- After dropping the doubles point on Friday, Valpo bounced back to win the point on Saturday against Lamar (2-7). Daniel Langston (Ponca City, Okla. / Ponca City) and Franklin Brozovich (Fort Gratiot, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) topped Brock Lauer and Carlson Paton Canal 6-1 in the first match to finish at No. 3, before Chad Kissell (Latrobe, Pa. / Greater Latrobe) and Brian Pecyna (Glen Ellyn, Ill. / Homeschooled) nailed down a 7-5 win at the top spot to clinch the doubles point.
- The No. 2 doubles match was tied 6-6 when play was stopped.
- For the second consecutive night, singles was all Valpo. Kweisi Kenyatte (Detroit, Mich. / East English Village Preparatory) was the first to finish with his 6-4, 6-2 win over Carlos Paton Canal, while Kissell downed Vila Antuna 6-4, 6-4 at the top spot.
- Valpo clinched the team win once Brandon Ancona (Belvidere, Ill. / Rockford Christian) sealed his 6-4, 6-3 win over Nicholas Mayr at No. 2. The wins kept coming as Langston fended off Arthur Serafim 6-1, 7-6(4) at No. 5.
- Pecyna was a 7-6(3), 6-3 winner against Taylor at fourth singles, while Gabriel Carvajal (Pembroke Pines, Fla. / Broward Virtual School [Florida Atlantic]) completed the Valpo whitewash with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Lauer.
Inside the Match
- Kissell upped his career singles win total to 72, fourth in program history. He needs three more to tie current assistant coach Dave Bacalla (2013-2017) for third all-time.
- Ancona still leads the team in singles wins with 14.
- Kenyatte is now 6-1 on the spring and has 11 wins for the season.
- Carvajal has thrived throughout the spring and owns a 7-1 mark since the turn of the calendar year.
- Pecyna is up to 13 season wins, while Langston has 11.
- In doubles, Kissell picked up his 65th career win, two away from cracking the Top 5 in program history.
Valpo (6-2) will return to action on Thursday, Feb. 28 at Western Michigan in Kalamazoo. That match is slated to begin at 4 p.m. A link to live stats will be available on ValpoAthletics.com.