The Valparaiso University men’s tennis team rolled to a 6-1 victory over Rollins College on Wednesday afternoon at Bert Martin Tennis Complex in Winter Park, Fla. Valpo won two of the three doubles matches and five of the six singles matches on its way to improving its season record to 8-3.
How It Happened
- Rollins (6-2) won the doubles match that finished first at No. 3, but Valpo came back to win the point with wins at first and second doubles.
- The No. 2 doubles duo of Chad Kissell (Latrobe, Pa. / Greater Latrobe) and Brian Pecyna (Glen Ellyn, Ill. / Homeschooled) topped Gai Feigin and Frederick Danielson 6-4, causing the point to hinge on the No. 1 doubles showdown.
- That match resulted in Kweisi Kenyatte (Detroit, Mich. / East English Village Preparatory) and Brandon Ancona (Belvidere, Ill. / Rockford Christian) edging Nicolo De Fraia and Andrea Brignacca 7-6(8-6).
- Kenyatte dominated his singles match at No. 2, dropping just one game in a 6-1, 6-0 win over Feigin.
- The No. 6 singles match was the next to finish as Franklin Brozovich (Fort Gratiot, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) notched a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Salvadore Bolanos before the Tars got on the board with a win at third singles.
- Gabriel Carvajal (Pembroke Pines, Fla. / Broward Virtual School [Florida Atlantic]) came out on top 6-2, 6-3 against Daniel Ferl at No. 5, while Daniel Langston (Ponca City, Okla. / Ponca City) tacked on a 6-4, 6-3 win over Brignacca at No. 4.
- The longest match of the day occurred at the top spot, where Ancona came back from losing the first set to beat Guillermo Nicolas 5-7, 6-3, 10-8.
Inside the Match
- Ancona’s three-set win allowed him to extend his team lead in singles victories as he sits at 17-4 on the season including a 10-2 mark in dual play. He played No. 1 singles for the sixth time this year and improved to 4-2 in those matches.
- Kenyatte played his second straight match at No. 2 singles and improved to 2-0 in those matches. He has captured victories in nine of his 10 singles matches during the spring campaign.
- Brozovich has now played singles in back-to-back matches and won both.
- Carvajal continued to play well in the back half of Valpo’s lineup, as he now sits at 9-2 in dual matches.
- Langston gained his 13th win of the year while playing No. 4 singles for the first time this season.
- Ancona and Kenyatte reassumed the No. 1 doubles role and improved to 14-5, while the Kissell/Pecyna duo moved back to the No. 2 spot and climbed to 6-2 on the year including a 5-1 mark when playing second doubles.
Valpo has two more matches in the state of Florida including a date with Appalachian State that begins at 11:15 a.m. CT / 12:15 p.m. ET on Thursday at USTA Tennis in Orlando.