The Valparaiso University men’s tennis team dropped Sunday’s match at Marquette 7-0 at Helfaer Tennis Stadium in Milwaukee. A pair of Valpo players pushed their match to a third set, but the host Golden Eagles came away victorious on every court.
How It Happened
- Valpo’s top doubles tandem of Brandon Ancona (Belvidere, Ill. / Rockford Christian) and Brian Pecyna (Glen Ellyn, Ill. / Homeschooled) had played to a 5-5 tie with Luke Smrek and Luis Heredia Gomez when play was halted. Marquette (3-3) had nailed down victories on the other two doubles courts to claim the doubles point.
- Pecyna played the longest singles match of the day, taking Heredia Gomez to a third-set tiebreak. The two-time Second Team Big East performer escaped with a 6-7(4), 6-3, 10-6 victory.
- A third-set tiebreak was also necessary to decide the match at No. 5 singles, where Philipp Leithold (Esslingen, Germany / Theodor-Huess Gynasium) was on the wrong end of a 6-4, 4-6, 10-7 score against Stefan Dragovic.
Inside the Match
- Valpo dropped to a still-impressive 40-2 in matches decided by a 7-0 score since the start of the 2013-14 season.
- Marquette provided a challenging opponent as the Golden Eagles went 15-9 and reached the Big East final a year ago.
Valpo (2-3) will play back-to-back matches at home for the first time this season, starting with Saturday at 2 p.m. against Cleveland State at the Courts of NWI.