Valparaiso (0-2, 0-0 Horizon) vs.
San Diego (4-0, 0-0 WCC)
Northern Colorado (2-2, 0-0 Big Sky)
Game #3 - Friday, November 27 - 6:00 p.m. CT
Game #4 - Saturday, November 28 - 4:00 pm CT
Jenny Craig Pavilion (5,100) - San Diego, Calif.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: The Crusader women’s basketball team makes their first trip to the Golden State in six years this weekend. Valpo will square off against a pair of 2015 WNIT teams in San Diego and Northern Colorado at the USD-Courtyard San Diego Central Classic. The Toreros represent the third consecutive undefeated opponent to face the Brown and Gold.
Last Time Out: The Crusaders shot 50% from the field in the second half of their Monday night tilt versus the third-ranked Fighting Irish, but freshman Marina Mabrey was too much to handle for Valpo. Mabrey posted 18 points, 10 assists, and 12 steals to record just the fifth triple-double in Notre Dame history. Freshman Meredith Hamlet led the scoring attack for the Brown and Gold with ten points, but the Irish emerged with a 110-54 victory at the Athletics-Recreation Center.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - WVUR (95.1 FM, Valparaiso) Brandon Vickrey (PxP), Parker Gatewood and Renee’ Turpa (Color). Video - Friday’s game will be available on TheW.TV. Saturday’s game will not feature video. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, follow @ValpoWBB on Twitter for in-game updates and a behind-the-scenes look at the Crusaders throughout the season.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (23-71) is in her fourth season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2015-16. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 defeat of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: Friday and Saturday will be Valpo’s first-ever matchups against either San Diego or Northern Colorado. In fact, this weekend will represent just the seventh and eighth games played by the Brown and Gold inside the state of California in their 44-year history.
- Valpo participated in the 2009 San Diego Surf ‘n Slam, the last time the Crusaders were in California.
- While Friday will signal the first ever women’s basketball tilt between Valpo and San Diego, the two schools have faced each other every year in football since 1997.
- Saturday’s game against Northern Colorado will be the first this season in which Valpo is opposing a team with a loss on its record.
- The last time the Brown and Gold played on back-to-back dates they left Ohio as champions of the Toledo Invite (Dec. 6th-7th, 2013).
- In its 44th season, @ValpoWBB is 502-589 all-time (as of Nov. 23rd).
- @ValpoWBB has made two NCAA Tournament appearances (2002-03, 2003-04) and earned one WNIT berth (2001-02).
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2014-15 season slate with a 6-24 overall record, 2-14 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish 10th in the Horizon League in the 2015-16 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB’s Dani Franklin was a Preseason Second Team All-Horizon League selection.
- @ValpoWBB returns its three leading scorers (Franklin, Jasmyn Walker, Lexi Miller) in addition to its two top rebounders (Walker, Franklin).
- @ValpoWBB brings back 1,469 points, 767 rebounds, and 4,304 minutes played from the 2014-15 squad.
@ValpoWBB in the @HorizonLeague
- Since joining the Horizon League in 2007-08, @ValpoWBB is 44-94 (through end of 2014-15 season).
- @ValpoWBB has had one First Team All-League selection (Launa Hochstetler, 2008-09) and two Second Team All-League players (Agnieszka Kulaga, 2007-08; Tabitha Gerardot, 2012-13).
- @ValpoWBB also boasts four representatives on the All-Newcomer Team (Lauren Kenney, 2008-09; Gerardot, 2010-11; Dani Franklin, 2014-15; Jasmyn Walker, 2014-15), an All-Defensive Team member (Laura Richards, 2011-12), one Freshman of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15), and one Sixth Player of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15).
@ValpoWBB vs. @WCCsports
- @ValpoWBB is taking on a West Coast Conference team for the first time since 1997 when it faced San Francisco.
- @ValpoWBB is 0-4 all-time versus WCC opponents.
- @ValpoWBB has played at Pepperdine, San Francisco, and Loyola Marymount.
- @ValpoWBB hosted Pepperdine on the front-end of a home-and-home in its only time hosting a WCC team at the ARC.
@ValpoWBB vs. @BigSkyConf
- @ValpoWBB is 17-8 all-time versus current members of the Big Sky Conference.
- 21 of those 25 contests came against Southern Utah when the Thunderbirds and @ValpoWBB were members of the Mid-Continent Conference.
- @ValpoWBB owns a 2-0 record versus Northern Arizona, but an 0-2 mark against Montana State.
- @ValpoWBB has faced Montana State twice, both in neutral-site games.
- @USDwbb is off to a 4-0 start after defeating Nevada, Cal State Northridge, Arizona, and Montana State.
- @USDwbb has held opponents to fewer than 55 points in three of those contests.
- @USDwbb has won 22 or more games each of the last four seasons.
- @USDwbb has also appeared in four straight WNITs.
- @USDwbb is 60-12 in its last 72 tilts at the Jenny Craig Pavilion.
- @USDwbb has four players (Maya Hood, Malina Hood, Katherine Hamilton, Sydney Williams) averaging 10 or more points.
- @USDwbb’s Maya Hood notched double-doubles versus Nevada and Arizona.
- @USDwbb’s Malina Hood is 63rd in the nation in scoring with 19.3 points per game.
- @USDwbb is averaging just under 11 steals per game.
- @USDwbb’s Caroline Buhr graduated from Penn High School in Mishawaka, Indiana.
- @USDwbb leads the WCC in free-throw percentage (77.3%) and turnover margin (7.5).
- @USDwbb’s Cindy Fisher is 229-191 for her career, 166-110 at San Diego.
- @UNCBearsWBB enters the weekend with a 2-2 record.
- @UNCBearsWBB went 22-13 in 2014-15, 12-6 in Big Sky play.
- @UNCBearsWBB earned a bid into the 2015 WNIT, where they defeated Colorado State and South Dakota before losing to UCLA.
- @UNCBearsWBB has not endured a losing season since 2009-10.
- @UNCBearsWBB has recorded 69 assists on 98 field goals.
- @UNCBearsWBB turns the ball over just 11.5 times per game on average, the 8th-lowest rate in the country.
- @UNCBearsWBB has been outrebounded by a 164-129 margin.
- Senior Kyleigh Hiser is @UNCBearsWBB’s leading scorer at 12.0 points per game.
- @UNCBearsWBB’s Katie Longwell has racked up 17 assists opposite six turnovers.
- @UNCBearsWBB is led by second-year head coach Kamie Ethridge.
- Ethridge was a member of the 1988 U.S. Olympic gold medal team.
- Third Hamlet to play for head coach Tracey Dorow.
- Broke McBain High School’s scoring record previously held by older sisters, Annemarie and Elizabeth (1,856).
- Received the starting assignment in her collegiate debut on Nov. 13th at Butler.
- Poured in nine points, snagged two steals, and hauled in five rebounds at Butler.
- Made her way into double figures on Nov. 23rd versus #3 Notre Dame.
- One of three true freshmen to start in their first college game.
- Was a five-year letterwinner at Park Center HS (Minn.).
- Dished out a game-best three assists and chipped in six points at Butler.
- Has over 2,600 followers on Twitter (@xoxolouise21).
- Has shot over 80% from the charity stripe and started 27 games each of the last two seasons.
- Enters Monday two assists shy of 100 for her career.
- Owns a 42.0% career field-goal percentage in 85 career tilts.
- Has not appeared in either of the first two games of the season.
- Recorded a season-high 11 points versus Butler on Nov. 14th, 2014.
- Spent much of her rookie campaign rehabbing from a knee injury.
- Scored a season-high nine points at Green Bay on Jan. 29th.
- Only returner with a positive assist-to-turnover ratio (76:69).
- Has logged more minutes than any Crusader on the roster (1,790).
- Finished in double figures eight times last season, including a career-high 21 points at Milwaukee on Jan. 21st.
- Made her Crusader debut at Hinkle Fieldhouse on Nov. 13th.
- Set the NJCAA record for three-pointers in a single season (143) last year at Dakota College at Bottineau.
- Averaged 22.4 PPG for the 2014-15 Ladyjacks.
- Received the start in her college debut on Nov. 13th.
- Amassed seven points and six rebounds against No. 3 Notre Dame (Nov. 23rd).
- Fell victim to foul trouble at Butler and played only eleven minutes.
- Ranked 30th top prospect in Chicago area by Bret McCormick All-Star Girls Report.
- At 6’4’’, she is the tallest Crusader since Stefanie Lang (2010-12).
- Preseason All-Horizon League Second Team
- Reigning Horizon League Freshman of the Year and Sixth Player of the Year.
- Valpo’s top scorer (13.0 PPG) and field-goal shooter (47.3%) last season.
- Finished in double figures 21 times last season including five tilts of 20 points or more.
- Led the Brown and Gold in scoring on 11 separate occasions in 2014-15.
- Shot a team-high 85.7% (42-49) from the foul line as a freshman.
- Made her first appearance in a Crusader uniform in the season opener at Butler.
- Helped lead her AAU team, Indiana Blizzard, to a national championship.
- Picked up right where she left off in the season debut, collecting eight rebounds and two blocks to go with 13 points.
- Has started all 31 games since arriving to Valparaiso.
- Recorded most rebounds ever by a freshman (250) and the sixth-most ever in a single season in program history.
- Amassed nine double-doubles in Horizon League play in 2014-15.
- Elected to 2014-15 Horizon League All-Freshmen Team.
- Named HL Freshman of the Week three times last season.
- Collected team watermark in rebounds in 14 contests.
- Did not appear in the season opener.
- Notched back-to-back double-doubles on Dec. 30th and Jan. 3rd last season.
- Averaged 5.2 rebounds per game in non-league games a year ago.
- Spent her freshman season at Utah State.
- Returned to 2013-14 form in the season opener at Butler, pouring in 14 points (5-9 FG, 3-5 3FG) in 12 minutes off the bench.
- Finished in double figures in scoring 16 times in 2013-14 (10.4 PPG).
- Missed 23 games last season due to a back injury.
- Canned three triples at Purcell Pavilion the last time the Crusaders and Irish played.