Cardinal Stritch (10-1, 5-1 CCAC)
at Valparaiso (0-6, 0-0 Horizon)
Game #7 - Monday, December 7 - 7:00 p.m. CT
Athletics-Recreation Center (5,000) - Valparaiso, Ind.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: With an unforgiving schedule in its rear-view mirror, the Valpo women’s basketball team returns to the Athletics-Recreation Center to open a five-game homestand Monday night. The Crusaders welcome Cardinal Stritch to town in the first of a busy, three-tilt week. The Wolves possess the No. 7 ranking in NAIA Division II and ride into town on a seven-game winning streak.
Last Time Out: A fast-paced Louisville squad flummoxed the Crusaders Saturday at the KFC Yum! Center in Kentucky. Junior Imani Scott-Thompson led Valpo with 12 points, but the Brown and Gold fell 75-42 in front of 8,274 fans. Five Cardinals finished in double figures, including Mariya Moore and Myisha Hines-Allen with 12 apiece. Jasmyn Walker added 10 points and eight rebounds for the Crusaders.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - WVUR (95.1 FM, Valparaiso) Parker Gatewood (PxP), Brandon Vickrey (Color), Renee Turpa (Color). Video - ESPN3. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, follow @ValpoWBB on Twitter for in-game updates and a behind-the-scenes look at the Crusaders throughout the season.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (23-75) is in her fourth season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2015-16. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 defeat of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: Monday represents the inaugural meeting between these two schools on the hardwood. For Valpo, this is the first of three contests versus non-Division I schools (IU-Northwest, IU-Kokomo) this month. Cardinal Stritch took on University of Illinois in Champaign on Nov. 3, 2013 in its first-ever tilt versus a Division I team. Coincidentally, Valpo faced the Fighting Illini nine days later.
- The Crusaders seek to avoid what would be their second 0-7 start.
- The Wolves is the shortest team Valpo has opposed this season.
- Both teams have had exactly one starting lineup all season.
- Monday represents the third time already this season that Valpo takes on a team with a pair of sisters (Marina & Michaela Mabrey, Notre Dame; Malina and Maya Hood, San Diego).
- The last time the Brown and Gold played a home game on Dec. 7th, they defeated the Indiana Hoosiers (64-60 in 1999).
- In its 44th season, @ValpoWBB is 502-593 all-time (as of Dec. 6th).
- @ValpoWBB has made two NCAA Tournament appearances (2002-03, 2003-04) and earned one WNIT berth (2001-02).
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2014-15 season slate with a 6-24 overall record, 2-14 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish 10th in the Horizon League in the 2015-16 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB’s Dani Franklin was a Preseason Second Team All-Horizon League selection.
- @ValpoWBB returns its three leading scorers (Franklin, Jasmyn Walker, Lexi Miller) in addition to its two top rebounders (Walker, Franklin).
- @ValpoWBB brings back 1,469 points, 767 rebounds, and 4,304 minutes played from the 2014-15 squad.
@ValpoWBB in the @HorizonLeague
- Since joining the Horizon League in 2007-08, @ValpoWBB is 44-94 (through end of 2014-15 season).
- @ValpoWBB has had one First Team All-League selection (Launa Hochstetler, 2008-09) and two Second Team All-League players (Agnieszka Kulaga, 2007-08; Tabitha Gerardot, 2012-13).
- @ValpoWBB also boasts four representatives on the All-Newcomer Team (Lauren Kenney, 2008-09; Gerardot, 2010-11; Dani Franklin, 2014-15; Jasmyn Walker, 2014-15), an All-Defensive Team member (Laura Richards, 2011-12), one Freshman of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15), and one Sixth Player of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15).
@ValpoWBB vs. @CCACSports
- @ValpoWBB defeated @CCACSports’ Purdue Calumet in its lone exhibition game earlier this season, 94-78.
- @ValpoWBB also handed Purdue Calumet a 109-81 loss last December.
- @ValpoWBB is 11-6 all-time versus @CCACSports opponents.
- Five of those six losses have come against Purdue Calumet.
- Seven @CCACSports schools have higher enrollments than Valparaiso University (IU-South Bend, Olivet Nazarene, Purdue Calumet, Purdue North Central, Robert Morris, Roosevelt, Saint Xavier).
- @CSUWBB makes its first trip to the ARC.
- @CSUWBB enters Monday night’s tilt with a record of 173-39 (.816) since the beginning of the 2009-2010 season.
- @CSUWBB went 30-3 in 2009-2010, with the third and final defeat coming in the Elite 8 of the NAIA Division II National Tournament.
- @CSUWBB is well on its way to a fifth straight 27-win season.
- @CSUWBB has never endured a double-digit loss campaign.
- @CSUWBB is 11-2 all-time in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament. The two losses were by a combined three points.
- @CSUWBB has never faced a Horizon League school.
- @CSUWBB lost its last road game on February 18th (at Olivet Nazarene).
- @CSUWBB has not lost in the state of Indiana since January 29th, 2014 (at IU-South Bend).
- @CSUWBB has gone with the same starting five in all ten games: Ream, Maranada Huibregtse, Passini, Neitzel, and Hinderer.
- Despite being 10-1 and ranked 7th in NAIA Division II, @CSUWBB does not have a single player averaging double digits in points.
- @CSUWBB has grinded out 15.6 offensive rebounds per game.
- @CSUWBB is yielding just 52.0 points per game.
- @CSUWBB has outscored opponents 203-129 in the third quarter.
- @CSUWBB’s Kelli Schrauth is shooting 68.2% (45-for-66) from the field.
- Schrauth has led @CSUWBB in scoring three times in the last four games.
- @CSUWBB has recorded 185 assists and 137 steals - but 171 turnovers - on the season.
- Mika Passini is @CSUWBB’s lone three-point threat (20-for-45).
- @CSUWBB has six players with a positive assist-to-turnover ratio.
- @jppfaffl is in his sixth season at the helm of the Wolves’ basketball program.
- @jppfaffl comes into Monday’s game with a 143-36 record at Cardinal Stritch.
- The Wolves have gone 73-15 in conference play while on @jppfaffl’s watch.
- @jppfaffl earned Chicagoland Collegiate Athletics Conference Coach of the Year honors twice (2011, 2012).
- @jppfaffl originally hired at Cardinal Stritch as sports information director, assistant women’s and men’s basketball coach, and head men’s and women’s cross country coach in 1994.
- In 1999, @jppfaffl stepped down from all those roles to become Director of Recreation, Intramurals, and Facilites at Cardinal Stritch.
- @jppfaffl studied at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee after transferring from Lawrence University.
- Has scored in double figures four times this season (9.7 PPG).
- Third Hamlet to play for head coach Tracey Dorow.
- Broke McBain High School’s scoring record previously held by older sisters, Annemarie and Elizabeth (1,856).
- Team leader in assists (16) and steals (10).
- Led a second-half charge vs. Northern Colorado, scoring 12 of her team-high 15 points from the 3rd quarter on (4-5 second half 3FG).
- Was a five-year letterwinner at Park Center HS (Minn.).
- Has over 2,600 followers on Twitter (@xoxolouise21).
- Dished out multiple assists in three of her last four contests.
- Has shot over 80% from the charity stripe and started 27 games each of the last two seasons.
- Eclipsed the 100-assist plateau at San Diego (Nov. 27).
- Owns a 42.0% career field-goal percentage in 85 career tilts.
- Has not appeared in any of the first six games of the season.
- Spent much of her rookie campaign rehabbing from a knee injury.
- Scored a season-high nine points at Green Bay on Jan. 29th.
- Racked up four assists and knocked down three treys at San Diego.
- All of her points scored this season have come from the field (0-2 FT).
- Has logged more minutes than any Crusader on the roster (1,898).
- Finished in double figures eight times last season, including a career-high 21 points at Milwaukee on Jan. 21st.
- Went off for a game-high 12 points versus Louisville on Saturday.
- Sank three treys at the KFC Yum! Center.
- Nailed a pair of threes at San Diego (Nov. 27).
- Set the NJCAA record for three-pointers in a single season (143) last year at Dakota College at Bottineau.
- Averaged 22.4 PPG for the 2014-15 Ladyjacks.
- Recorded six blocks in the first half versus Miami (Ohio) Wednesday night, the third-most ever in a game by a Crusader.
- Tallied season highs in points (7) and rebounds (6) vs. #3 Notre Dame on Nov. 23rd.
- Ranked 30th top prospect in Chicago area by Bret McCormick All-Star Girls Report.
- At 6’4’’, she is the tallest Crusader since Stefanie Lang (2010-12).
- Named to Preseason All-Horizon League Second Team.
- Led Valpo in scoring last Wednesday for the first time this season with 18 points. She did so 12 times last season.
- Shot 5-of-10 from the field on her way to an 11-point game at San Diego.
- Reigning Horizon League Freshman of the Year and Sixth Player of the Year.
- Valpo’s top scorer (13.0 PPG) and field-goal shooter (47.3%) last season.
- Finished in double figures 21 times last season including five tilts of 20 points or more.
- Led the Brown and Gold in scoring on 11 separate occasions in 2014-15.
- Shot a team-high 85.7% (42-49) from the foul line as a freshman.
- Made her first appearance in a Crusader uniform in the season opener at Butler.
- Helped lead her AAU team, Indiana Blizzard, to a national championship.
- Valpo’s leading scorer (11.0 PPG) and rebounder (8.8 RPG).
- Has two double-doubles on the season (13 pts, 13 rebs vs. Northern Colorado; 11 pts, 11 rebs vs. Miami [Ohio]).
- Picked up right where she left off in the season debut, collecting eight rebounds and two blocks to go with 13 points.
- Has started all 36 games since arriving to Valparaiso.
- Recorded most rebounds ever by a freshman (250) and the sixth-most ever in a single season in program history.
- Amassed nine double-doubles in Horizon League play in 2014-15.
- Elected to 2014-15 Horizon League All-Freshmen Team.
- Named HL Freshman of the Week three times last season.
- Collected team watermark in rebounds in 14 contests.
- Tallied back-to-back double-doubles on Dec. 30th and Jan. 3rd last season.
- Spent her freshman season at Utah State.
- Returned to 2013-14 form in the season opener at Butler, pouring in 14 points (5-9 FG, 3-5 3FG) in 12 minutes off the bench.
- Finished in double figures in scoring 16 times in 2013-14 (10.4 PPG).
- Missed 23 games last season due to a back injury.