IU-Northwest (8-4, 0-0 NAIA Independent)
at Valparaiso (1-7, 0-0 Horizon)
Game #9 - Saturday, December 12 - 7:00 p.m. CT
Athletics-Recreation Center (5,000) - Valparaiso, Ind.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: For the third straight Saturday, the Valpo women’s basketball team is in action. The Crusaders entertain the IU-Northwest RedHawks in what symbolizes head coach Tracey Dorow’s 100th game at Valparaiso. Nine of IU-Northwest’s 13 players hail from Northwest Indiana, including Portage’s Nicki Monahan who is averaging 19.2 points per game.
Last Time Out: Valpo’s best whistle-to-whistle effort of the season went for naught Wednesday night at the Athletics-Recreation Center as Akron pulled away late for an 85-74 win. Sophomore Jasmyn Walker led all Valpo scorers with 17 points on 7-of-12 shooting while notching a career-high four assists. Meredith Hamlet (14) and Dani Franklin (11) also made their way into double figures, but Akron’s Anita Brown was uncontainable. The senior guard was 10-for-12 from the floor as she racked up 27 points.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - WVUR (95.1 FM, Valparaiso) Brandon Vickrey (PxP), Tommy Mantice (Color). Video - ESPN3. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, follow @ValpoWBB on Twitter for in-game updates and a behind-the-scenes look at the Crusaders throughout the season.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (24-75) is in her fourth season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2015-16. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 defeat of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: Saturday will be just the second meeting ever between Valpo and Indiana-Northwest. The Crusaders rolled past the RedHawks, 80-47, on Nov. 30th, 2011 at the Athletics-Recreation Center. Tabitha Gerardot led the way for the Brown and Gold with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Saturday is Tracey Dorow’s 100th game as head women’s basketball coach at Valpo.
- Seven different Crusaders have led the team in scoring through the team’s first eight contests.
- IU-Northwest’s Brooke Gardner began her collegiate career in the Horizon League with Youngstown State.
- Valpo owns an 18-game winning streak over non-Division I opponents. Its last loss came on Jan. 5, 1988 at Indiana Tech.
- In its 44th season, @ValpoWBB is 503-594 all-time (as of Dec. 10th).
- @ValpoWBB has made two NCAA Tournament appearances (2002-03, 2003-04) and earned one WNIT berth (2001-02).
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2014-15 season slate with a 6-24 overall record, 2-14 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish 10th in the Horizon League in the 2015-16 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB’s Dani Franklin was a Preseason Second Team All-Horizon League selection.
- @ValpoWBB returns its three leading scorers (Franklin, Jasmyn Walker, Lexi Miller) in addition to its two top rebounders (Walker, Franklin).
- @ValpoWBB brings back 1,469 points, 767 rebounds, and 4,304 minutes played from the 2014-15 squad.
@ValpoWBB in the @HorizonLeague
- Since joining the Horizon League in 2007-08, @ValpoWBB is 44-94 (through end of 2014-15 season).
- @ValpoWBB has had one First Team All-League selection (Launa Hochstetler, 2008-09) and two Second Team All-League players (Agnieszka Kulaga, 2007-08; Tabitha Gerardot, 2012-13).
- @ValpoWBB also boasts four representatives on the All-Newcomer Team (Lauren Kenney, 2008-09; Gerardot, 2010-11; Dani Franklin, 2014-15; Jasmyn Walker, 2014-15), an All-Defensive Team member (Laura Richards, 2011-12), one Freshman of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15), and one Sixth Player of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15).
@ValpoWBB at the ARC
- @ValpoWBB is just 1-3 at the Athletics-Recreation Center so far this season.
- @ValpoWBB’s last finished above .500 at the ARC during the 2012-13 season.
- @ValpoWBB’s best season at the ARC was in 2001-02 when they finished 14-2. The Crusaders’ second home loss was to Houston in the WNIT Quarterfinals.
- 15 Top 25 teams have visited the ARC to face @ValpoWBB.
- @IUN_Redhawks took an 8-4 record into Friday night’s game against Davenport.
- @IUN_Redhawks have gone 49-26 since the beginning of the 2013-14 season (through Dec. 10th).
- @IUN_Redhawks is located in Gary.
- @IUN_Redhawks is in search of its first winning record away from home since 2011-12.
- @IUN_Redhawks has three players averaging 10 points or more per game (Nicki Monahan, 19,2 PPG; Grayce Roach, 10.9 PPG; Tara Zlotkowski, 10.6 PPG).
- @IUN_Redhawks is shooting over 40% from the field.
- Two sets of @IUN_Redhawks teammates played together at previous schools: Gina Rubino and Zlotkowski (Lake Central HS); Maggie Yandel and Katie McGann (Moraine Valley Community College).
- Monahan leads @IUN_Redhawks in rebounding (4.9 RPG) in addition to scoring.
- Monahan has scored at least 15 points in each of her last six contests.
- Rubino (19-for-39, 48.7%) and Zlotkowski (21-for-43, 48.8%) (both Crown Point natives) are @IUN_Redhawks’ biggest three-point threats.
- Opponents have committed 17.8 turnovers per game versus @IUN_Redhawks.
- @IUN_Redhawks guard the perimeter well, limiting the opposition to a 30.4% percentage from three-point range.
- @IUN_Redhawks has outscored opponents 217-181 in the first quarter this season.
IUN HC Ryan Shelton
- Ryan Shelton is in his ninth season as head women’s basketball coach at IU-Northwest.
- As of Dec. 10th, Shelton owns a 145-86 career coaching record at IU-Northwest, including a 10-7 mark in postseason play.
- Shelton has guided the RedHawks to six winning seasons over the past seven years.
- IU-Northwest has made five Association of Independent Institutions (AII) Women’s Basketball Tournament appearances over the last six years, including back-to-back titles.
- Shelton was the bench boss when the RedHawks collected their first-ever win over a Division I opponent back on Feb. 3rd, 2012 (Chicago State).
- Shelton has been named AII Coach of the Year three times (2009, 2010, 2013).
- Six RedHawks have earned AII Player of the Year accolades with Shelton at the helm.
- Shelton played collegiate basketball at the Savannah College of Art and Design in Georgia.
- Has scored in double figures five times this season (10.0 PPG).
- Third Hamlet to play for head coach Tracey Dorow.
- Broke McBain High School’s scoring record previously held by older sisters, Annemarie and Elizabeth (1,856).
- Team leader in assists (24) and steals (15).
- Led a second-half charge vs. Northern Colorado, scoring 12 of her team-high 15 points from the 3rd quarter on (4-5 second half 3FG).
- Was a five-year letterwinner at Park Center HS (Minn.).
- Has over 2,600 followers on Twitter (@xoxolouise21).
- Recorded a field goal in every game this season.
- Has shot over 80% from the charity stripe and started 27 games each of the last two seasons.
- Eclipsed the 100-assist plateau at San Diego (Nov. 27).
- Owns a 42.0% career field-goal percentage in 85 career tilts.
- Has not appeared in any of the first eight games of the season.
- Spent much of her rookie campaign rehabbing from a knee injury.
- Scored a season-high nine points at Green Bay on Jan. 29th.
- Scored 11 second-half points to help lead the Crusaders to a 63-62 win over Cardinal Stritch on Monday.
- Racked up four assists and knocked down three treys at San Diego.
- Has logged more minutes than any Crusader on the roster (1,947).
- Finished in double figures eight times last season, including a career-high 21 points at Milwaukee on Jan. 21st.
- Went off for a game-high 12 points versus Louisville on Saturday.
- Sank three treys at the KFC Yum! Center.
- Nailed a pair of threes at San Diego (Nov. 27).
- Set the NJCAA record for three-pointers in a single season (143) last year at Dakota College at Bottineau.
- Averaged 22.4 PPG for the 2014-15 Ladyjacks.
- Secured a season-high nine rebounds Monday vs. Cardinal Stritch.
- Recorded six blocks in the first half versus Miami (Ohio), the third-most ever in a game by a Crusader.
- Tallied season highs in points (7) vs. #3 Notre Dame on Nov. 23rd.
- Ranked 30th top prospect in Chicago area by Bret McCormick All-Star Girls Report.
- At 6’4’’, she is the tallest Crusader since Stefanie Lang (2010-12).
- Named to Preseason All-Horizon League Second Team.
- Led Valpo in scoring last Wednesday for the first time this season with 18 points. She did so 12 times last season.
- Scored 11 points against Akron (12/9) and San Diego (11/27).
- Reigning Horizon League Freshman of the Year and Sixth Player of the Year.
- Valpo’s top scorer (13.0 PPG) and field-goal shooter (47.3%) last season.
- Finished in double figures 21 times last season including five tilts of 20 points or more.
- Led the Brown and Gold in scoring on 11 separate occasions in 2014-15.
- Shot a team-high 85.7% (42-49) from the foul line as a freshman.
- Made her first appearance in a Crusader uniform in the season opener at Butler.
- Helped lead her AAU team, Indiana Blizzard, to a national championship.
- Valpo’s leading scorer (11.9 PPG) and rebounder (8.1 RPG).
- Has two double-doubles on the season (13 pts, 13 rebs vs. Northern Colorado; 11 pts, 11 rebs vs. Miami [Ohio]).
- Picked up right where she left off in the season debut, collecting eight rebounds and two blocks to go with 13 points.
- Has started all 38 games since arriving to Valparaiso.
- Recorded most rebounds ever by a freshman (250) and the sixth-most ever in a single season in program history.
- Amassed nine double-doubles in Horizon League play in 2014-15.
- Elected to 2014-15 Horizon League All-Freshmen Team.
- Named HL Freshman of the Week three times last season.
- Collected team watermark in rebounds in 14 contests.
- Erupted for a career-high 16 points on 6-of-7 shooting Monday night in the Crusaders’ 63-62 win over Cardinal Stritch.
- Tallied back-to-back double-doubles on Dec. 30th and Jan. 3rd last season.
- Has not appeared in a game since Nov. 28th.
- Returned to 2013-14 form in the season opener at Butler, pouring in 14 points (5-9 FG, 3-5 3FG) in 12 minutes off the bench.
- Missed 23 games last season due to a back injury.