Valparaiso (8-14, 4-7 Horizon)
at Oakland (12-10, 4-7 Horizon)
Game #23 - Thursday, February 11 - 3:00 p.m. CT
Athletics Center O’Rena (3,000) - Rochester, Mich.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: The Crusaders head to Rochester, Michigan this Thursday for their first road game in 26 days. Oakland awaits Valpo inside the Athletics Center O’Rena for a rematch of the January 9th tilt that went the Brown and Gold’s way. The Crusaders and Golden Grizzlies enter Thursday’s game with identical 4-7 records in Horizon League play.
Last Time Out: Jasmyn Walker again led the offensive attack for the Crusaders, but her 12 points six boards weren’t enough to overcome a treacherous third quarter. Christine and Courtney Roush combined for 31 points as Northern Kentucky recorded a 68-50 victory over the Brown and Gold last Saturday at the ARC.
Following the Crusaders: Audio: WVUR (95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Parker Gatewood (PxP), Brandon Vickrey (Color). Video: ESPN3. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, follow @ValpoWBB on Twitter for in-game updates and a behind-the-scenes look at the Crusaders throughout the season.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (31-82) is in her fourth season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2015-16. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 defeat of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: Oakland leads the all-time series, 16-11, in a matchup that began in 1999. Valpo broke up a string of six losses in its last seven contests versus the Golden Grizzlies last month with an 81-66 win at the Athletics-Recreation Center. Jasmyn Walker poured in a career-high 23 points and five assists while Dani Franklin contributed 17 points off the bench The Crusaders are 4-7 all-time at the Athletics Center O’Rena. Their last win in Rochester came on January 2nd, 2006.
- Valpo is going for its first regular-season series sweep of a Horizon League team since 2011-12 (Butler).
- Senior Elena Popkey is 31 assists shy of tying Oakland’s all-time record for career assists, 483, set back in 1990.
- Sophomore Jasmyn Walker needs just two more boards to join Valpo’s Top 20 for career rebounds. She has scored 39 points and grabbed 39 rebounds in three career games versus Oakland.
- The Crusaders seek their first win at the O’Rena in over ten years.
- The Golden Grizzlies have amassed 10 or more steals in 13 games this season. The Brown and Gold are in search of their first of 2015-16.
- In its 44th season, @ValpoWBB is 510-601 all-time (as of Feb. 10th).
- @ValpoWBB has made two NCAA Tournament appearances (2002-03, 2003-04) and earned one WNIT berth (2001-02).
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2014-15 season slate with a 6-24 overall record, 2-14 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish 10th in the Horizon League in the 2015-16 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB’s Dani Franklin was a Preseason Second Team All-Horizon League selection.
- @ValpoWBB returns its three leading scorers (Franklin, Jasmyn Walker, Lexi Miller) in addition to its two top rebounders (Walker, Franklin).
- @ValpoWBB brings back 1,469 points, 767 rebounds, and 4,304 minutes played from the 2014-15 squad.
- @ValpoWBB reached the eight-win mark for the first time since the 2012-13 season.
- Last season, @ValpoWBB did not record its fifth win until February 5th. It did so on Dec. 30th this season.
@ValpoWBB in the @HorizonLeague
- Since joining the Horizon League in 2007-08, @ValpoWBB is 48-101 (as of Feb. 10th).
- @ValpoWBB has had one First Team All-League selection (Launa Hochstetler, 2008-09) and two Second Team All-League players (Agnieszka Kulaga, 2007-08; Tabitha Gerardot, 2012-13).
- @ValpoWBB also boasts four representatives on the All-Newcomer Team (Lauren Kenney, 2008-09; Gerardot, 2010-11; Dani Franklin, 2014-15; Jasmyn Walker, 2014-15), an All-Defensive Team member (Laura Richards, 2011-12), one Freshman of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15), and one Sixth Player of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15).
- @ValpoWBB’s win at Northern Kentucky on Dec. 30th gave it its first road win in a Horizon League opener since becoming a member.
- @GoldenGrizzlies own a 12-10 overall record including a 4-7 mark in Horizon League play entering Thursday’s game.
- @GoldenGrizzlies just concluded a five-game road trip, where it went 2-3.
- @GoldenGrizzlies delivered Green Bay its second home loss in two years on January 28th.
- @GoldenGrizzlies are shooting a league-high 43.5% from the field.
- @GoldenGrizzlies average 17.8 assists per game, just outside the nation’s top 10 in that category.
- @GoldenGrizzlies possess a +101 scoring margin over the third and fourth quarters this season.
- @GoldenGrizzlies boast four players averaging double figures in scoring.
- @GoldenGrizzlies’ Olivia Nash is third in the Horizon League in scoring (17.1 PPG) and rebounding (8.8 RPG).
- Nash’s .571 field-goal percentage is also the third-highest in the league and 19th in the nation.
- @GoldenGrizzlies’ Taylor Jones, a strong Horizon League Freshman of the Year candidate, is averaging 13.1 PPG to go with 33 steals.
- Jones has attempted a team-high 106 free throws (75 made).
- @GoldenGrizzlies’ Elena Popkey has paired a Horizon League-leading 119 assists with 10.9 points per contest.
- Popkey registered one assist and one turnover versus Valpo earlier this season.
- @GoldenGrizzlies’ Taylor Gleason has raised her season average to 10.3 PPG after recording 47 points in her last three tilts.
- Gleason transferred to Oakland after one year at Illinois.
- @GoldenGrizzlies’ Sinclair Russell is third in the HL in blocks (37).
- Russell posted a double-double at Green Bay (15 points, 12 rebounds).
- @CoachTungate is in his third season as head coach at Oakland.
- @CoachTungate enters Saturday’s contest with a 37-45 record, and a 18-25 mark in Horizon League play.
- @CoachTungate has dealt Green Bay both of its home losses since the beginning of the 2014-15 season (25-2 during that span).
- @CoachTungate has served in three different capacities at Oakland.
- @CoachTungate was an assistant coach with the Oakland men’s team during the 2004-05 season.
- After serving as associate head coach of the IPFW men’s squad from 2005-07, @CoachTungate returned to Rochester as AHC of the Oakland men’s team from 2007-13.
- @CoachTungate’s first head coaching position was at Lincoln Memorial University (men’s team) from 1999-2004.
- @CoachTungate is a 1993 graduate of Oakland where he was a standout on the baseball diamond.
- @CoachTungate still owns the longest hitting streak in Oakland baseball history (20 games).
- Her 13-point performance vs. Oakland on Jan. 9th was the last time she finished in double figures.
- Has scored 10 or more points eleven times (10.2 PPG this season).
- Exploded for 29 points at NKU (Dec. 30) on 10-of-11 shooting, the third-highest single-game FG percentage in program history.
- Started in all 22 contests this season.
- Third Hamlet to play for head coach Tracey Dorow at Valparaiso.
- Team leader in assists (67) and steals (25).
- Disbursed multiple assists in 19 of her 22 games.
- Led a second-half charge vs. Northern Colorado, scoring 12 of her team-high 15 points from the 3rd quarter on (4-5 second half 3FG).
- Has over 2,600 followers on Twitter (@xoxolouise21).
- A 47.1% (16-for-34) field goal shooter in five career games vs. Oakland.
- Averaged 16.0 PPG from Jan. 16th-23rd thanks to a 17-for-25 (68.0%) shooting performance during that span.
- Logged the most minutes (2,347) of any Crusader on the roster.
- Has shot over 80% from the charity stripe and started 27 games each of the last two seasons.
- Has not appeared in any of the first 22 games of the season.
- Corralled a career-high five rebounds vs. IU-Northwest on Dec. 12th.
- Owns the team’s highest assist-to-turnover ratio (1.3).
- Received her first start of the season last time out vs. Wright State.
- Corralled a season-high seven rebounds last Saturday vs. UIC.
- Tied a career high in assists (8) at Wright State on Jan. 1st.
- Hit back-to-back treys vs. Youngstown State on Jan. 23rd.
- Led the Crusaders in scoring at Green Bay with 14 points (5-10 FG).
- Went off for a game-high 12 points versus Louisville on Dec. 5th.
- Set the NJCAA record for three-pointers in a single season (143) last year at Dakota College at Bottineau.
- Has rejected 12 shots in her last three games, including five versus UIC and Wright State each.
- Leads the Horizon League in blocks per game (2.3).
- Currently in 4th place in program history for blocks in a season (46).
- Swatted six shots on two different occasions this year.
- Accumulated more blocks through ten games (22) than any Crusader in an entire season over the past eight years.
- At 6’4’’, she is the tallest Crusader since Stefanie Lang (2010-12).
- Shooting 46.2% (43-for-93) through 11 Horizon League contests.
- Dropped in 17 points versus Oakland back on Jan. 9th.
- After shooting 50% or higher from the field just once in the first six games of the season, Franklin did so in 12 straight from Dec.7-Jan. 21.
- Named to Preseason All-Horizon League Second Team.
- Has led the team in scoring on five different occasions this year. She did so 12 times last season.
- Reigning Horizon League Freshman of the Year and Sixth Player of the Year.
- Valpo’s top scorer (13.0 PPG) and field-goal shooter (47.3%) last season.
- Finished in double figures 21 times last season including five tilts of 20 points or more.
- Shot a team-high 85.7% (42-49) from the foul line as a freshman.
- Scored five points at Green Bay (2-2 FG, 1-1 3FG) on Jan. 14th.
- Valpo’s leading scorer (12.3 PPG) and rebounder (9.0 RPG).
- Averaging a double-double in HL play (12.9 PPG, 10.2 RPG).
- Two boards shy of cracking Valpo’s Top 20 for career rebounds.
- Led the Crusaders in rebounding on 16 times this year.
- Set a career high in field goals (9) against Oakland on Jan. 9th.
- Cradled a career-high 16 rebounds vs. Detroit on Jan. 7th.
- Possesses seven double-doubles this season, and five in her last eight games (N. Colorado, Miami, UDM, Oakland, CSU, YSU, WSU).
- Has started all 52 games since arriving to Valparaiso.
- Recorded most rebounds ever by a freshman (250) and the sixth-most ever in a single season in program history.
- Amassed nine double-doubles in Horizon League play in 2014-15.
- Elected to 2014-15 Horizon League All-Freshmen Team.
- Named HL Freshman of the Week three times last season.
- Collected team watermark in rebounds in 14 contests.
- Received two starting assignments this season.
- Posted for a career-high 16 points on 6-of-7 shooting in the Crusaders’ 63-62 win over Cardinal Stritch on Dec. 7th.
- Poured in 14 points (5-9 FG, 3-5 3FG) in 12 minutes off the bench at Butler.