#9 Valparaiso (10-20, 5-13 Horizon)
vs. #5 Northern Kentucky (18-12, 9-9 Horizon)
Game #31 - Friday, March 11 - 5 p.m. CT
Horizon League Championship Second Round
Kress Events Center (4,018) - Green Bay, Wis.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: Hours removed from a spectacular 94-91 overtime win versus Detroit, the Crusader women’s basketball team continues postseason play Friday evening against Northern Kentucky. Jasmyn Walker needs five more rebounds to collect 250 for the second consecutive campaign. The top-seeded Phoenix are lurking in the shadows, as the winner of this matchup will meet Green Bay in the semifinals on Saturday.
Last Time Out: Valpo rode out a seemingly unsustainable pace from three-point range to overtake Detroit, 94-91, in overtime of the Horizon League Women’s Basketball Championship opener at Kress Center on Thursday. The Crusaders shot 15-of-23 (.572) from beyond the arc in the victory, matching their second-highest three-point total in program history. Jasmyn Walker tied her career scoring watermark with 23 points while freshman Meredith Hamlet pitched in 21 points. Fellow rookie Hannah Schaub knocked down all five of her three-point attempts.
Following the Crusaders: Audio: WVUR (95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Brandon Vickrey (PxP), Parker Gatewood (Color), Renee’ Turpa (Color). Video: ESPN3. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, follow @ValpoWBB on Twitter for in-game updates and a behind-the-scenes look at the Crusaders throughout the season.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (33-89) is in her fourth season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2015-16. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 defeat of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: The all-time series is tied, 1-1, after the two teams split the regular season series. Valpo and Northern Kentucky had not met before this season. Freshman Meredith Hamlet poured in 29 points (10-11 FG) at NKU on Dec. 30th in a 61-60 win, but the Norse responded with a 68-50 triumph at the ARC on Feb. 6th.
- Valpo is in search of multiple wins in the Horizon League Women’s Basketball Championship for the first time ever.
- Sophomore Jasmyn Walker’s next board will move her into sole possession of 18th place for career rebounds (495) at Valparaiso.
- Friday will be Abby Dean’s 116th game in a Crusader uniform, moving her into Valpo’s Top 10 in that category.
- The Crusaders are 8-3 on the season when out-rebounding their opponents. They possessed a 72-63 edge on the boards over NKU during the regular season series.
- Hannah Schaub is 10-for-12 (.833) from beyond the arc in two neutral-site contests this season. She’s 19-for-85 (.224) in 28 other tilts.
- In its 44th season, @ValpoWBB is 512-607 all-time (as of Mar. 10th).
- @ValpoWBB has made two NCAA Tournament appearances (2002-03, 2003-04) and earned one WNIT berth (2001-02).
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2014-15 season slate with a 6-24 overall record, 2-14 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish 10th in the Horizon League in the 2015-16 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB’s Dani Franklin was a Preseason Second Team All-Horizon League selection.
- @ValpoWBB returns its three leading scorers (Franklin, Jasmyn Walker, Lexi Miller) in addition to its two top rebounders (Walker, Franklin).
- @ValpoWBB brings back 1,469 points, 767 rebounds, and 4,304 minutes played from the 2014-15 squad.
- @ValpoWBB reached the eight-win mark for the first time since the 2012-13 season.
- Last season, @ValpoWBB did not record its fifth win until February 5th. It did so on Dec. 30th this season.
@ValpoWBB in the @HorizonLeague
- Since joining the Horizon League in 2007-08, @ValpoWBB is 49-107 (as of Mar. 9th).
- @ValpoWBB has had one First Team All-League selection (Launa Hochstetler, 2008-09) and two Second Team All-League players (Agnieszka Kulaga, 2007-08; Tabitha Gerardot, 2012-13).
- @ValpoWBB also boasts four representatives on the All-Newcomer Team (Lauren Kenney, 2008-09; Gerardot, 2010-11; Dani Franklin, 2014-15; Jasmyn Walker, 2014-15), an All-Defensive Team member (Laura Richards, 2011-12), one Freshman of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15), and one Sixth Player of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15).
- @ValpoWBB’s win at Northern Kentucky on Dec. 30th gave it its first road win in a Horizon League opener since becoming a member.
- @NKUNorseWBB owns an 18-12 record, and finished 9-9 in Horizon League play this season.
- @NKUNorseWBB defeated Cleveland State, 71-59, on Thursday to advance to Friday’s Second Round contest.
- @NKUNorseWBB boasts the sixth-highest free-throw percentage (78.2%) in the country.
- @NKUNorseWBB’s three-point shooting (.351) is also tied for the 29th-highest mark in Division I women’s basketball.
- @NKUNorseWBB sank 10 or more three-pointers seven times in its first 19 tilts, but has done so just once in its last eleven games.
- @NKUNorseWBB is led in scoring by senior Christine Roush, who is averaging 16.5 PPG, the third-highest total in the league.
- Roush was named a First Team All-League honoree this past Tuesday when the Horizon League announced its postseason awards.
- No player in the HL made more regular-season treys than Roush (80).
- Christine’s sister, Courtney, is the owner of the third-highest field-goal percentage in the league (55.2%).
- Kasey Uetrecht leads @NKUNorseWBB in total rebounds (162) in addition to providing 11.3 points per game.
- Uetrecht led @NKUNorseWBB Thursday with 15 points, seven rebounds, and five assists in their 12-point win over the Vikings.
- @NKUNorseWBB’s Rianna Gayheart leads the team in assists (90), and steals (45).
- Rebecca Lyttle scored 22 points in @NKUNorseWBB’s first meeting with Valpo, but was held to two in the second tilt in February.
- After transferring from YSU in 2013, Shar’Rae Davis is averaging 4.9 points and 3.0 rebounds in 15.6 minutes/game for @NKUNorseWBB.
- @CoachDawnP is in her fourth season as head coach of the Norse.
- @CoachDawnP enters Wednesday’s contest with a 187-91 career record, and a 70-52 mark with Northern Kentucky.
- @CoachDawnP has led NKU to three consecutive postseason appearances (all WBI).
- @CoachDawnP spent five seasons as associate head coach at Michigan.
- @CoachDawnP also served as head coach at D-II Grand Valley State for five years.
- @CoachDawnP enjoyed a 117-39 (.750) reign while guiding the Lakers.
- The Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan named @CoachDawnP as its Coach of the Year in 2006.
- @CoachDawnP played collegiately for the Michigan Tech Huskies.
- The Huskies amassed a 99-22 record with @CoachDawnP as a four-year starter.
- @CoachDawnP was twice named Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Player of the Year (1994, 1995).
- Furthermore, @CoachDawnP was NCAA’s Michigan Woman of the Year in 1995.
- Named to Horizon League All-Freshman Team this past Tuesday.
- Finished in double figures 16 times this season (10.8 PPG).
- Poured in 21 points (8-13 FG) Thursday in the Crusaders’ 94-91 barnburner versus Detroit.
- Exploded for 29 points at NKU (Dec. 30) on 10-of-11 shooting, the third-highest single-game FG percentage in program history.
- Started in all 30 contests this season.
- Team leader in assists (96) and steals (31).
- Was a perfect 5-for-5 from three-point range in Thursday’s 94-91 OT win over Detroit.
- Now has five treys in both of her neutral-site games on the season.
- Has racked up multiple assists in ten of her last eleven tilts.
- One game shy of joining Valpo’s Top 10 for career games played (115).
- Shot 7-for-10 from the floor Thursday to finish with 16 points.
- Logged the most minutes (2,545) of any Crusader on the roster.
- Is 80.6% (137-for-17) from the free-throw line for her career.
- Has not appeared yet this season.
- Set season highs in points (4) and assists (2) vs. YSU on Feb. 26th.
- Scored in double figures (13) at UIC on Mar. 5th for the first time since Dec. 7th in addition to distributing six assists opposite zero turnovers.
- Possesses a 49:29 assist-to-turnover ratio away from home.
- Tied a career high in assists (8) at Wright State on Jan. 1st.
- Has pitched in 13 points off the bench twice in the last six games.
- Amassed a season-high four steals at Cleveland State (Feb. 29).
- Went off for a game-high 12 points versus Louisville on Dec. 5th.
- Set the NJCAA record for three-pointers in a single season (143) last year at Dakota College at Bottineau.
- Leads the Horizon League in blocked shots per game (2.4).
- Rejected five shots and hauled in eight rebounds in Thursday’s tourney opener vs. Detroit.
- Currently in 2nd place in program history for blocks in a season and 8th on the all-time career list (68).
- Swatted six shots on three different occasions this year.
- Accumulated more blocks through ten games (22) than any Crusader in an entire season over the past eight years.
- At 6’4’’, she is the tallest Crusader since Stefanie Lang (2010-12).
- Erupted for 16 points (6-11 FG) at UIC last Saturday, going 4-for-4 from the floor in the second half.
- Comes into Friday’s tilt with 666 career points.
- 34-for-37 (.919) from the foul line in 2015-16.
- After shooting 50% or higher from the field just once in the first six games of the season, Franklin did so in 12 straight from Dec.7-Jan. 21.
- Named to Preseason All-Horizon League Second Team.
- Has led the team in scoring on seven different occasions this year. She did so 12 times last season.
- Reigning HL Freshman of the Year and Sixth Player of the Year.
- Valpo’s top scorer (13.0 PPG) and field-goal shooter (47.3%) last season.
- Finished in double figures 21 times last season including five tilts of 20 points or more.
- Shot a team-high 85.7% (42-49) from the foul line as a freshman.
- Scored five points at Green Bay (2-2 FG, 1-1 3FG) on Jan. 14th.
- Valpo’s leading scorer (12.2 PPG) and rebounder (8.2 RPG).
- Matched a career high in scoring (23 points) Thursday vs. Detroit.
- Averaged 10.0 PPG and 8.0 RPG in two games vs. NKU this season.
- Currently in a tie for 18th place in career rebounds at Valpo with 495.
- Led the Crusaders in rebounding 20 times this year.
- Cradled a career-high 16 boards vs. Detroit on Jan. 7th.
- Possesses seven double-doubles this season (N. Colorado, Miami, UDM, Oakland, CSU, YSU, WSU).
- Has started all 60 games since arriving to Valparaiso.
- Recorded most rebounds ever by a freshman (250) and the sixth-most ever in a single season in program history.
- Amassed nine double-doubles in Horizon League play in 2014-15.
- Elected to 2014-15 Horizon League All-Freshmen Team.
- Named HL Freshman of the Week three times last season.
- Collected team watermark in rebounds in 14 contests.
- Finished in double figures at Detroit (10 pts on 4-6 FGs) on Feb. 13th.
- Posted a career-high 16 points on 6-of-7 shooting in the Crusaders’ 63-62 win over Cardinal Stritch on Dec. 7th.
- Poured in 14 points (5-9 FG, 3-5 3FG) in 12 minutes off the bench at Butler.