The #21 Valparaiso University bowling team got off to a strong start at the FDU New Jersey Jamboree in Elmwood Park, N.J. on Friday, winning four of five matches on the first day of competition.
How It Happened
- The Crusaders opened the tournament against #13 LIU Brooklyn, jumping out to a 70-pin lead after game two of the five-game baker set thanks to a 203 in the second game. Valpo would end up closing out the match as 906-881 victors.
- Valpo would break 200 in three of the five games in its second match of the day, including back-to-back games of 210 and 214 in games two and three. #20 Saint Francis Brooklyn cut the Crusaders’ advantage to 18 pins after game four, but a 204 in game five was enough to give Valpo a 947-928 victory.
- The Crusaders led by 22 pins after game one in their next match versus #6 Sam Houston State, but the Bearkats broke 200 in each of the last four games as Valpo fell 1015-839.
- Valpo rebounded with an 830-771 victory over #RV Lincoln Memorial in its next contest, and closed the day by pulling away in the fifth and final game against Youngstown State for an 856-806 win.
- The Crusaders posted a pin count of 4,378 through Friday’s five matches, good for 15th place out of the 27 competing teams and just 93 pins outside of the top-10.
The Crusaders (11-4) continue action from FDU on Saturday with traditional team matches.