The #21 Valparaiso University bowling team moved up a pair of spots in the second day of action at the FDU New Jersey Jamboree in Elmwood Park, N.J. on Saturday, finishing the day in 13th place out of the 27 competing teams.
How It Happened
- The Crusaders fell in their opening match of the day to #22 Prairie View A&M, dropping an 888-847 decision as they opened traditional match action. Fifth-year senior Olivia Wirtz (Battle Creek, Mich./Harper Creek [Vanderbilt]) led the way for Valpo with a 211 game.
- Valpo rebounded with a win in its next contest, defeating #15 St. Francis (Pa.) by a 922-860 final. Wirtz made it back-to-back 200+ efforts with a 214 as the Crusaders improved to 3-1 on the weekend against higher-ranked teams.
- The third round saw the Crusaders draw a bye, in which they posted a team score of 880 – led by a 222 effort from senior Marianna Guerrieri (Aurora, Ill./Waubonsie Valley).
- Freshman Rebecca Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) led the Crusaders in each of their final two matches – both victories. Lohse rolled a team-high 184 in an 832-759 win over New Jersey City, and followed with a team-best 194 as Valpo downed Howard, 882-754.
- Wirtz finished the day with the Crusaders’ top average, posting a 188 over the day’s five matches.
- Valpo moved up two spots in the standings, finishing the second day of action in 13th place with a total pinfall of 8,741 pins – just 94 pins out of ninth position.
Thoughts From Head Coach Shon Washington
“I’m happy that our team took advantage of a favorable draw, finishing 7-2 after the first two days of tournament play. Our scoring pace is not yet up to par with the elite teams in the country at this point in the season – however, the problems we are having are nothing some hard work and practice time cannot solve.”
The Crusaders (14-5) conclude action from FDU on Sunday with three matches. There will be one more five-game baker match before a pair of best-of-seven baker showdowns in bracket play.