The #21 Valparaiso University bowling team posted a 3-2 record on the second day of competition, including a win over host #9 UW-Whitewater, on Saturday at the Warhawk Classic in Kenosha, Wis.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day, contested in the traditional team format, against #25 Elmhurst and came away with a narrow 871-852 victory. Fifth-year senior Olivia Wirtz (Battle Creek, Mich./Harper Creek [Vanderbilt]) led the way for the Crusaders in the opener with a game of 212.
- The Crusaders made it two straight wins to open the day with an 869-807 win versus Aurora. Wirtz again paced Valpo, this time with a 199 effort, while freshman Rebecca Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) and senior Lauren Wolski (Darien, Ill./Hinsdale South) posted scores of 193 and 190, respectively, as well.
- Wirtz would again lead the way for the Crusaders as they took down the Warhawks in the third match of the day, rolling a game of 224 as Valpo earned the 883-865 win over the tournament hosts.
- The final two matches of the day would not be as kind to the Crusaders, as they dropped contests to #10 Fairleigh Dickinson (1032-874) and #15 St. Francis (Pa.) (964-862).
- Wirtz closed the day strong as ever, rolling games of 215 and 224 in the final two contests. Her average of 214.8 over the day’s five matches ranked 11th in the tournament field.
- The Crusaders ended the day with a total pinfall of 8,683 pins through the first two days of competition, good for 12th place in the 17-team field.
Thoughts From Head Coach Shon Washington
“We missed out on some opportunities again today to make a statement against some of the higher-ranked teams in the country. We have the skill, just not always the focus. We will need to find ways to keep ourselves mentally sharp throughout the day as the season progresses if we are going to achieve our team goals.”
The Crusaders (19-13) close out action in Kenosha on Sunday with bracket play. Valpo is matched up with St. Francis (Pa.) in the first match of the bracket and can finish as high as ninth place.