Capped by one of the best matches in program history, the #24 Valparaiso University bowling team opened the Allstate Sugar Bowl Collegiate Invitational in Kenner, La. on Friday, finishing the day in fourth place.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the tournament Friday against Grambling and rolled to an easy win, earning a 911-730 victory in the day’s first match – contested in the five-game baker format.
- The Crusaders then earned their closest win in program history in a five-game baker match, taking down #25 Texas Southern by a mere four pins, 902-898.
- Valpo suffered its lone loss in its next match, falling to #16 Tulane 1039-987, but bounced back with a 998-941 victory over Alabama State.
- The Crusaders closed out action on Friday with the competition’s highest-scoring match of the day, easily taking down #RV Jackson State, 1119-999. The 223.8 average per game in the baker match was the second-best in program history over a five-game baker contest and the best output in a match with an opponent. Over all baker matches, it was Valpo’s fourth-highest per-game scoring match in program history.
- Valpo closed the day in fourth place in the 11-team field, just 79 pins shy of third-place Vanderbilt.
Thoughts From Head Coach Shon Washington
“It is only day one of three, but for the first time this season, the team as a whole found success on the lanes. Our execution matched our effort, resulting in the highest day one total thus far. I am most pleased with our ability today to apply some lane play concepts that have been a focus at practice. Tomorrow is a new day, but hopefully we can bring some of today with us.”
The Crusaders (24-16) continue action from Tulane on Saturday with six traditional team matches, beginning at 8:30 a.m.