The #24 Valparaiso University bowling team continued the Mid-Winter Invitational in Jonesboro, Ark. on Saturday with the second of three days of competition, moving up one spot in the standings.
How It Happened
- Competing in the traditional team format, Valpo dropped its first match of the day to #RV Jackson State 956-875. The Crusaders were led in the opener by fifth-year senior Olivia Wirtz (Battle Creek, Mich./Harper Creek [Vanderbilt]) with a 199 game, while senior Lauren Wolski (Darien, Ill./Hinsdale South) rolled a 191.
- Senior Marianna Guerrieri (Aurora, Ill./Waubonsie Valley) recorded the Crusaders’ top individual game of the day with a 223 in the second match, but Valpo dropped a narrow 956-934 decision to #4 McKendree.
- Wirtz nearly bested Guerrieri’s effort in the Crusaders’ next match, rolling a 221, but it would not be enough as they fell to #8 Central Missouri, 983-873.
- The third consecutive matchup with a top-10 team proved to be the charm, as the Crusaders edged out #3 Nebraska, 836-835 – led by a 180 effort from senior Alyssa Meade (Chesterfield, Mich./L’Anse Creuse North). The one-pin victory was the second-such win in a traditional match in program history.
- Valpo fell in its final match of play on Saturday to Lincoln Memorial, 919-797.
- The Crusaders moved up one spot in the team standings, closing Saturday’s action in 10th place with a total pinfall of 8,608 through two days of competition.
The Crusaders (32-26) close out action from Jonesboro in best-of-seven baker play in Sunday’s bracket competition. Valpo will open play on Sunday against Monmouth.