Hosting a second tournament within the same season for the first time in program history, the #24 Valparaiso University bowling team kicked off the Crusader Classic from Lakewood Bowl in Richton Park, Ill. on Friday.
The 11-team tournament field features five of the nation’s top-15 teams. The Crusaders closed out day one of action, contested in the five-game baker format, in 8th place.
How It Happened
- Valpo kicked off the tournament against #13 Tulane, dropping a tight 869-854 decision to the Green Wave.
- The Crusaders then fell against the nation’s top-ranked team in Nebraska, 1028-856, and suffered subsequent defeats versus #24 Youngstown State (1028-904) and #11 Central Missouri (957-835).
- The Crusaders got on the board with their first win of the tournament in the final match of the day, taking down Aurora, 865-730.
Inside the Tournament
- Top-ranked Nebraska and second-ranked Arkansas State highlight the field of 11 teams, five of which rank among the top-15 in the nation.
- Valpo has hosted an early-season tournament in each of its nine seasons as an intercollegiate program, but is hosting a tournament in the month of February for the first time. It is also the first time the Crusaders have hosted at Lakewood Bowl.
- Nebraska was one of two teams to post a perfect record on the first day of action and sits atop the tournament field with 5,221 pins.
The Crusaders (34-32) continue action from Richton Park on Saturday with traditional team matches.