The #24 Valparaiso University bowling team continued hosting the Crusader Classic Saturday at Lakewood Bowl in Richton Park, Ill.
The Crusaders went 1-4 on the day and enter the final day of competition in 10th position.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day, contested in the traditional team format, against #14 UW-Whitewater, falling 1043-897. Senior Savannah Carr (Buckeye, Ariz./Youngker) paced the Crusaders with a 240 game – the team’s best single game of the day – while fifth-year senior Olivia Wirtz (Battle Creek, Mich./Harper Creek [Vanderbilt]) recorded a 212.
- The Crusaders dropped matches to Elmhurst (913-799) and Lincoln Memorial (1033-855) in their next two matchups, with a game of 200 from Carr Valpo’s best individual effort in the two losses.
- Valpo earned its lone win of the day in its fourth match, taking down Maryville 859-827 behind games of 213 from Wirtz and 201 from sophomore Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton).
- The day ended with a 1046-872 defeat against #2 Arkansas State, despite a 210 game by Tryniski.
- Wirtz posted the Crusaders’ top individual average on the day, recording a 199.4 average over the five games.
The Crusaders (35-36) close out hosting duties at the Crusader Classic on Sunday morning.