The Valparaiso University continued hosting of the Crusader Classic Saturday at Lynwood Bowl in Lynwood, Ill., as the 10 teams in the tournament field competed in five traditional team matches.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day against #21 UW-Whitewater in what turned out to be quite a duel, one which saw Valpo come up just short as it fell by a 1018-998 final. Four of Valpo’s five bowlers rolled 200 or better against the Warhawks, led by a 224 from junior Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton). Senior Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton) posted a 211, sophomore Payton Bertermann (Grayslake, Ill./North) rolled a 209 and sophomore Mirica Yancey (Aurora, Ill./Waubonsie Valley) rounded out the quartet with an even 200 game.
- Valpo dropped its second match of the day as well, losing to Kentucky Wesleyan 975-823, but bounced back for its first win with an 854-699 victory over Elmhurst. Sophomore Gianna Mickolayck (Aurora, Ill./Metea Valley) paced Valpo in that win with a 183.
- Mickolayck again led Valpo in a winning effort, rolling a 210 as Valpo downed North Central, 923-671. Bertermann added a 192 as well in the victory.
- Despite a 198 game from Yancey to lead the way, Valpo dropped its final match of the day to Augustana, 947-910.
- With Valpo hosting its lone home tournament of the year, head coach Shon Washington took the opportunity to get a number of his team members into the lineup. Nine Valpo bowlers saw action on Saturday, with eight of those bowling at least two games.
- Valpo ended the day just 34 pins out of second place and will thus be the third seed for Sunday’s bracket play.
Valpo (17-18) closes out hosting of the Crusader Classic on Sunday beginning at 8:30 a.m. Bracket play will feature three matches apiece in the best-of-seven baker format.