Led by sophomore Sam Perez (Aurora, Ill./Oswego East), the Valparaiso University bowling team continued action at the Warhawk Classic in Kenosha, Wis. on Saturday.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day, contested in the traditional team format, against Lewis and pulled out a narrow 917-904 victory. Sophomore Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota) led the way in the opener with a 232.
- The second match of the day saw the Brown and Gold fall 1050-967 to host #21 UW-Whitewater, despite games of 204 from Perez and 207 from sophomore Payton Bertermann (Grayslake, Ill./North).
- Valpo was edged out by #14 Lincoln Memorial in its third match of the day, 935-924. Senior Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton) posted Valpo’s top individual game on Saturday with a 242 effort, while Perez rolled a 202 as well against LMU.
- Forton bowled a 216 against #RV Youngstown State in a 943-921 loss, while Perez’s 221 game wasn’t enough in the day’s finale as Valpo fell 1014-875 to #2 McKendree.
- Perez posted Valpo’s top average on Saturday, recording an even 200 average over the five matches. It is the second time this season the sophomore has led Valpo in traditional team matches.
- Valpo finished the day with a two-day pinfall of 9,089 pins, good for 14th place among the 18 competing teams.
Valpo (20-28) concludes action from Wisconsin on Sunday morning in bracket play, beginning at 8:30 a.m.