The #19 Valpo bowling team completed the Flyer Classic in Lockport, Ill. on Sunday, placing fourth in bracket play in the 10-team field. Freshman Addy Bates (Cedar Park, Texas/Cedar Park) earned the first All-Tournament Team honor of her career in the Brown and Gold.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened bracket play on Sunday, contested in the best-of-seven baker format, against #9 Maryville with the winner knowing their championship hopes would stay alive. Valpo took the opening game, 185-174, but Maryville bettered 200 in three of the next four games to earn the 4-1 victory.
- The defeat dropped Valpo into a matchup with host #18 Lewis, and it was the Brown and Gold who came out on top, 4-3. The two teams split the first four games before Valpo pulled ahead 3-2 with a 216-187 win in game five. The Flyers came back with a 213-161 win in game six to force the decisive seventh game, but it was Valpo which prevailed in the finale, 203-161.
- With the win over Lewis, Valpo advanced into the third-place match against #RV Drury. Much like the previous match, Valpo split the first four games with its opponent to make it essentially a best-of-three for the victory. This time, however, Drury was able to edge Valpo twice — 187-183 and 198-193 — to earn the 4-2 win as Valpo finished the tournament in fourth place.
- Bates earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team after posting a 211.6 average over Saturday’s five traditional matches, good for second in the tournament field. Bates cracked 200 in three of the five matches and paced Valpo in three of the matches as well.
- Bates is the first Valpo bowler to earn All-Tournament Team accolades since teammate Alexis Roof (Flint, Mich./Kearsley) did so at the Crusader Classic in November 2019. She is the first Valpo freshman to earn an All-Tournament honor at a road tournament since Kendra Tryniski did so at the Virginia Union Invitational in November 2015.
After bowling on three consecutive weekends, Valpo (24-23) will take next weekend off before returning to action at the Big Red Invitational in Lincoln, Neb. starting Friday, Feb. 26.