The #19 Valpo bowling team continued its final regular season tournament Saturday, competing on the second of three days of action at the Music City Classic in Smyrna, Tenn. Freshman Kaylee Hodson (Auburn, N.Y./Auburn) and sophomore Alexis Roof (Flint, Mich./Kearsley) both posted averages better than 200 on Saturday, while senior Payton Bertermann (Grayslake, Ill./North) rolled the team’s high game of the day with a 235.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened Saturday’s competition, contested in the traditional team format, against #23 Kentucky Wesleyan. Despite a game of 208 from Hodson, Valpo dropped a narrow 830-818 decision.
- The second match slot saw Valpo fall 1039-875, with Roof pacing the squad with a 224 in that contest.
- Valpo’s first win of the day came in the third match slot, as three bowlers broke 200 to lead the way in a 1046-869 win over #RV Jackson State. Bertermann rolled her team-best effort of 235, while Roof posted a 224 for the second straight match and freshman Addy Bates (Cedar Park, Texas/Cedar Park) notched a 214.
- Hodson rolled another 208 game to lead the Brown and Gold, but it wouldn’t be enough to lift Valpo to a win over the nation’s top-ranked team as #1 McKendree earned a 993-925 win.
- Saturday’s action concluded with a strong 964-872 victory over #11 Lincoln Memorial. Hodson paced Valpo for the third time on the day with a 234 and was backed up by a 223 from Roof and a 212 by Bates.
- Hodson’s 206.2 average was good for 12th among the 64 bowlers who started all five traditional matches, while Roof finished traditional play 14th with a 202.4 average.
- Valpo closed the day in 11th place in the team standings with 9,133 total pins.
Valpo (30-38) closes out the regular season with bracket play from Smyrna starting at 9 a.m. Sunday morning.