The Valpo bowling team won all four of its matches on Friday as it opened the three-day Valpo Bowling Classic at Stardust Bowl III in Dyer.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day, contested in the five-game baker format, with a bye due to the odd number of teams in the tournament field and rolled an 807 in the first match slot.
- The Beacons took down their first opponent of the day in the second match slot, defeating Spalding by a 914-727 final.
- Valpo then edged out Drury by a single pin, 819-818, in the next match. It is Valpo’s closest victory in a five-game baker match in program history, surpassing a four-pin win over Texas Southern in 2016.
- The Beacons bounced back with their best output of the day in the fourth match slot, cruising to a 962-743 victory over Dominican.
- Valpo closed out the day with an 892-832 win against Kentucky Wesleyan.
- The 4-0 day improved Valpo’s record at its home tournaments over the last five seasons to 38-12.
- With a total pinfall of 4,394 pins, the Beacons enter day two in fourth place out of the 15 competing teams.
Valpo (11-6) continues action from its home tournament on Saturday morning when it takes to the lanes for five traditional team games, beginning at 9:30 a.m.