The Valpo bowling team continued hosting of the Valpo Bowling Classic at Stardust Bowl III in Dyer on Saturday, earning three more victories in traditional team competition.
How It Happened
- The Beacons made it five consecutive victories to open their home tournament as they took down #18 Lincoln Memorial in Saturday’s opening match, 961-945. Sophomore Addy Bates (Cedar Park, Texas/Cedar Park) helped propel Valpo to the victory with a 242 game — the single-best game of the day by a Valpo bowler — while freshman Alli Eible (Burton, Mich./Kearsley) rolled a 193 in the win.
- Valpo fell to Mercyhurst, 1020-788, in the second match slot of the day.
- The Beacons rebounded with an 868-703 victory over Upper Iowa, paced by a 197 game form Bates.
- Bates broke 200 for the second time on Saturday in the fourth match slot, leading the way as Valpo defeated Alabama A&M, 942-871. Freshman Lilu Smith (Gahanna, Ohio/Lincoln) rolled a 203 as well in the victory.
- Valpo’s bid to end the day on a winning note came up just short, as the Beacons fell 929-912 to #RV Lewis in the day’s finale despite a 198 by freshman Kaitlyn Cavender (New Baltimore, Mich./Anchor Bar) and a 195 from Eible.
- Bates posted Valpo’s top average of the day with an even 192 across the five matches, good for eighth in the tournament field.
- As a team, Valpo closed the second day of action in fifth place out of the 15 squads with a total pinfall of 8,865 pins.
Valpo (14-8) looks to close the Valpo Bowling Classic on a winning note on Sunday as it heads into a trio of best-of-seven baker bracket matches, starting with a contest against Mercyhurst. The first ball is slated to be rolled at 9:30 a.m.