The Valpo bowling team kicked off its final tournament of the fall semester on Friday with the first of three days of competition at the MOTIV Ladyjack Classic in Kenosha, Wis.
How It Happened
- Valpo was paired against #7 Youngstown State to start the day and battled the Penguins hard before falling in the five-game baker format, 946-921.
- The Beacons bounced back with a win in their second match, taking down Carthage, 892-811.
- That proved to be Valpo’s lone win of the day, however, as it took losses to a pair of nationally-ranked teams in #24 Marian, 1010-938, and #21 UW-Whitewater, 999-930.
- The final match slot of the day turned into a bye for the Beacons as their scheduled opponent was forced to withdraw due to injuries, and Valpo posted an 837 in that game.
- Valpo finished the day in 12th place out of 15 remaining teams in the standings with a pinfall total of 4,518 pints. The Beacons are closer to eighth place than they are 13th
Valpo (18-24) continues action from Wisconsin on Saturday with traditional team matches. Four of the Beacons’ five matches on Saturday will be against teams ranked in the top-11 nationally.