It was a winning return to the lanes in the first taste of competition in 2022 for the Valpo bowling team on Friday, as the Beacons picked up wins in all five of their matches on the opening day of the Peacocks Classic in Waterloo, Iowa and finished the day atop the tournament field.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the tournament against Illinois Wesleyan and earned an 832-465 victory over the Titans in the first of Friday’s five five-game baker matches. The 367-pin margin of victory was the second largest in program history in a five-game baker match.
- The Beacons followed that victory with an 857-788 triumph over North Central in the second match slot.
- Valpo topped Quincy by a 900-843 final in its third match and then posted its best effort of the day in the fourth match, besting Carroll 992-855.
- The Beacons closed the day with a 901-823 victory over Augustana.
- Valpo registered a total pinfall of 4,482 pins over Friday’s five matches to edge Aurora by 11 pins for top honors in the eight-team field after day one of competition.
- It is the first time Valpo has finished a day of tournament action in first place since topping the field all three days at the Virginia Union Invitational in November 2015. It also marks the first time the program has posted a perfect record in one of the first two days of a tournament since going 9-0 over the first two days of the Crusader Classic in November 2019.
Valpo (26-29) continues action from Waterloo on Saturday with five traditional team matches, beginning at 9:30 a.m.