The spring semester schedule continues on for the Valpo bowling team this weekend at the Red Flash Invitational, hosted by St. Francis [Pa.] in Altoona, Pa. The Beacons sit in fourth place in the 10-team field after two days of competition.
How It Happened – Friday
- The first day of tournament action consisted of five traditional team games. The Beacons got out to a slow start, dropping their opening match to Walsh, 854-770.
- Valpo had its best match of the day in the second match slot, with a trio of bowlers breaking 200, but it wasn’t enough to best #12 Duquesne, which emerged with a 997-950 win. Junior Isabella Palamaro (Thiells, N.Y./North Rockland) led the way with a 219, while freshman Jen Patz (Naples, Fla./Naples) posted a 215 and sophomore Lilu Smith (Gahanna, Ohio/Lincoln) rolled a 211.
- Patz made it back-to-back efforts of 200+ with a team-best 219 in the Beacons’ next match, leading the team to an 853-681 win over Pitt.-Bradford.
- Palamaro paced Valpo with a game of 186 as the Beacons earned an 851-647 victory against Mount Aloysius.
- The first day of action came to a close with a 957-859 loss to Wagner.
How It Happened – Saturday
- Valpo opened the second day of competition, contested in the five-game baker format, with a 917-808 victory over D’Youville.
- The Beacons fell to the host Red Flash in their second match, 862-829.
- That proved to be Valpo’s last loss of the day, as the Beacons reeled off three straight wins to finish out the middle day of the tournament. It started with a 921-712 victory over Penn State-Altoona.
- Valpo followed with a 900-867 triumph in its second win of the day against D’Youville and capped the day with a 929-601 victory over Pitt.-Greensburg.
- The Beacons ended the day in fourth place in the team standings with 8,779 pins over the first two days of action, less than 100 pins out of second position.
Valpo (30-33) closes out the Red Flash Invitational with bracket play on Sunday morning beginning at 9 a.m. CT.