The Valparaiso University women’s golf team closed out the 54-hole Cougar Cup Tuesday from Palouse Ridge G.C. in Pullman, Wash., shooting its best team round this season to date.
How It Happened
- The Crusaders posted a final-round total of 309 as a team on Tuesday, closing the 54-hole event with a team total of 962.
- Junior Katie Willenbrink (Mishawaka, Ind./Penn) matched her career-best round in the final round Tuesday, carding a 73 to finish the tournament at 236, good for a tie for 48th place.
- Senior Angie Kim (Schaumburg, Ill./Fremd) was the top Crusader finisher, shooting a final-round 77 to finish in 45th position at 234.
- Freshman Tiffany Curtis (Crown Point, Ind./Crown Point) matched her season-best round on Tuesday with a 78 and closed the tournament with a three-round total of 249.
- Senior Sydney Shrum (Cloverdale, Ind./Cloverdale) registered a 54-hole total of 251, while sophomore Madison McCreary (Batesville, Ind./Batesville) rounded out he Crusader squad, finishing the tournament at 252 after an 81 on Tuesday.
Inside the Round
- The team’s round of 309 on Tuesday is tied for the eighth-best single-round score in program history by stroke count and ranks seventh-best in relation to par (+21).
- Valpo’s tournament total of 962 is its seventh-best effort in a 54-hole event and ranked sixth in relation to par – the Crusaders have now posted two of their top-seven 54-hole scores in program history the last two weeks.
- Willenbrink’s round of 73 matched her effort last year at the Benbow Invitational and is tied for the seventh-best single-round score in program history by stroke count, while ranking tied for sixth in relation to par (+1).
- Kim’s 54-hole score of 234 is tied for eighth-best in a three-round event by an individual in program history.
- Willenbrink carded three birdies against four bogeys in her final round, while Kim tallied a pair of final-round birdies as well.
The Crusaders have next week off from competition before returning to action at the three-day, 54-hole Aggie Invitational in Las Cruces, N.M., beginning on Monday, Oct. 3.