The Valparaiso University women’s golf team completed its first meet of the season on Saturday by golfing the final 18 holes of the Ball State Sunshine Invite in Port St. Lucie, Fla. The Crusaders were led by Kylie Shoemake (Schererville, Ind. / Lake Central), who carded an 81 on the final day of competition.
How It Happened
- As a team, Valpo scored a 341 in Round 3 for a total meet score of 1,028. That placed the Crusaders in 11th of 12 teams.
- Senior Angie Kim (Schaumberg, Ill. / Fremd) finished as Valpo’s top performer in the meet, totaling a 249 over the three rounds. That score placed her in a tie for 32nd overall. Kim posted an 83 on Saturday.
- Junior Katie Willenbrink (Mishawaka, Ind. / Penn) was second on the team and 46th overall with a score of 257. She rounded out her weekend with an 85 in Saturday’s final round.
- Shoemake carded a 96 in Friday’s first round, but recovered with 81s in Rounds 2 and 3. She led Valpo in each of those rounds. Her total score of 258 tied for 47th and was third on the team.
- Sophomore Madison McCreary (Batesville, Ind. / Batesville) finished fourth on the team and 58th overall with a 264, capped off by an 89 on Saturday.
- Senior Sydney Shrum (Cloverdale, Ind. / Cloverdale) finished in 66th with a three-round score of 291. Her Round 3 score was 99.
Inside the Rounds
- Valpo was nine strokes ahead of 12th-place Lipscomb and 22 strokes behind 10th-place Drake.
- The Crusaders achieved seven birdies and 97 pars over the three rounds.
- Shoemake led the Crusaders with three birdies, while Kim enjoyed two birdies.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jon Haas
“The kids played hard today. This is exactly the type of competition our team needs to prepare us for the conference tournament. We are very fortunate to be able to send our team to an event like this.”
The Crusaders will next compete on Wednesday, March 8 at the Bulldog Florida Invitational as they return to the Sunshine State to hit the Windsor Parke Golf Course in Jacksonville. The meet will continue on Thursday, March 9.