On a day where sustained winds were over 30 miles per hour and gusts reached 50 miles per hour, the Valparaiso University women’s soccer team was unable to overcome an early deficit, falling on the road at UNI Saturday afternoon by a 3-0 final.
How It Happened
- The Panthers scored all three of their goals in the opening 25 minutes. Coming out in the first half with the wind at its back, UNI took the lead in the eighth minute on a goal from Sydney Hayden.
- The Panthers added to their advantage with a goal from Jordyn Rolli in the 17th minute and another tally by Hayden in the 25th minute.
- Despite playing against the wind, Valpo settled into the game in the final 20 minutes of the first half. Valpo actually out-shot UNI 3-2 over that stretch of game and forced Panthers goalkeeper Jami Reichenberger to make a pair of saves.
- Flipping the field in the second half, Valpo took advantage of the wind at its back to barrage the UNI defense. Valpo out-shot UNI over the final 45 minutes 14-0 and took four corners to zero for the Panthers. 10 of Valpo’s 14 shots were on goal, but none of them found the back of the net, as Reichenberger saved all 10 to keep the scoreline 3-0.
Inside the Match
- Saturday was just the second time this season Valpo has surrendered more than two goals in a match.
- Valpo finished the match with a 17-9 advantage in shots over the Panthers, the team’s largest edge in the category in a loss this season.
- With the loss, Valpo is eliminated from contention for a berth in the MVC Tournament.
Valpo (4-8-3, 1-4-1 MVC) closes out the season Thursday afternoon on Brown Field as it hosts Indiana State at 4 p.m. The match will be broadcast on ESPN3.