The final day of championship swimming came to a close today for the Valparaiso University swim teams as the 2018-2019 season concluded. The final day of competition saw more swimmers enter their names into the top 10 in program history, highlighted by freshman Isabel Jenny (New Albany, Ohio/New Albany) setting her second program record in as many days to lead the Valpo women at the Missouri Valley Conference Championships. Meanwhile, freshman Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) moved himself into second place all-time in the 100 freestyle and Valpo had a relay nearly set a new program record as well as the men finished competition at the Summit League Championships presented by U.S. Air Force Special Operations.
Men- Summit League Championships
- May touched the wall in 46.25 seconds in the 100 freestyle, which earned him 10th place in the event. His time also moved him into solo second position in program history, as he had previously moved into a tie for second with his qualifying time of 46.33.
- Freshman Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura) also cracked Valpo’s all-time top-10 in the 100 free with a prelim time of 47.22, tying him for eighth in program history.
- The 400 freestyle relay team of senior Mac Sogandares (Reston Va,/South Lakes), senior Dylan Kirar (Arvada, Colo./Ralston Valley), Eidson and May brought home sixth place (3:07.33). That time would be good enough to send them to second place in program history, just .08 of a second off the school record in the event.
- In the 1650 freestyle, Kirar would place fourth with a time of 16:25.17. Senior Robbie Bretl (Wauwatosa, Wis./Marquette University H.S.) touched the wall 12th in the mile as well.
- Freshman Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) would finish tenth in the 200 breaststroke by touching the wall in 2:07.84, the third-fastest time in Valpo history.
- Junior Adrian Acero (Bogota, Colombia/Augustiniano Salitre) posted an eighth-place finish for Valpo in the 100 IM.
- The Valpo men finished sixth in the Summit League Championships.
- Saturday marked the final swims in the Valpo careers of Sogandares, Kirar and Bretl.
Women- Missouri Valley Conference Championships
- One day after lowering her program record in the 100 back for the third time this season, Jenny capped her rookie season with an impressive performance in the 200 back. Jenny finished 18th with a time of 2:05.92, not only breaking a record which had stood for 27 years, but lowering the record by nearly a second and a half.
- Martins beat her best previous time in the 100 freestyle twice on Saturday. She swam a prelim time of 53.57 to move into fifth in the program record books, and then lowered that mark slightly in the event finals, finishing in 53.49 to place 20th.
- The 400 freestyle relay team of junior Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors), Jenny, freshman Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon) and Martins touched the wall in 3:37.05, which moved them into fifth place in program history. It was also the fastest time by a Valpo 400 free relay squad since 2009.
- The Valpo women finished the 2018-2019 MVC Championships in eighth place.
- Senior Casey Main (Fairview, Ohio/Fairview) competed in the 100 free and the 200 breaststroke on Saturday, the final swims of her Valpo career.