The Valpo men’s and women’s swimming teams traveled to Indiana State Saturday to compete against the Sycamores and Evansville in their first meet since January 15. Valpo was led by junior Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central), who collected an individual win in the 100 free.
How It Happened
- May brought home a victory for Valpo in the 100 free, clocking a time of 46.98. Noah Zapolski (Davenport, Iowa/Bettendorf) finished third in the event with a time of 49.15 as well.
- Valpo went 2-3 in the 1000 free as well. Sophomore Brian Daniels (Brookfield, Wis./Brookfield East) touched the wall in 10:30.06 for his runner-up finish, while freshman Owen Bockman (Sycamore, Ill./Sycamore) came home third in 10:45.10.
- Sophomore Gus Rytting (Houston, Texas/Lamar) earned a third-place showing of his own with a time of 1:01.18 in the 100 breaststroke.
- The team of Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura), Brett Little (Princeton, Iowa/North Scott), Adam Chwieros (Lake Villa, Ill./Grayslake North) and May finished second in the 200 free relay, finishing with a team time of 1:28.02.
- Sophomore Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich.) notched the highest individual placement for the Valpo women, placing fifth in the 1000 freestyle with a time of 11:36.08.
- Sophomore Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) placed sixth in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:09.47.
- The Valpo women fell to Indiana State by a score of 254-40 and to Evansville 246-45. The men fell to Evansville by a score of 203-58.
The Valpo women will travel to Illinois State next Saturday, with the meet slated to start at 1 p.m. The men’s next meet will be Feb. 27, when Valpo hosts its senior meet against Eastern Illinois.