The Valpo women’s swimming team closed out its 2021 season on the final day of the MVC Championships in Carbondale, Ill. on Friday. Sophomore Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) closed the season strong, lowering her own school record in the 100 IM and improving upon a career best in the 200-breaststroke as well.
How It Happened
- DePover lowered her school record in the 100 IM in a time trial swim on Thursday, shaving off over two seconds from her previous best time as she clocked a 1:00.58.
- DePover’s final individual swim of the meet came in the finals of the 200-breaststroke on Friday, which saw her improve her time in the event — which ranks third in program history — to 2:24.38, finishing in 17th position.
- Sophomore Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan) led Valpo in a pair of events on Friday, posting prelim times of 2:12.91 in the 200-back and 18:57.48 in the 1650-free.
- Junior Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon) paced the Valpo contingent with a prelim time of 54.34 in the 100-free, while senior Maddie Wilson (Sugar Grove, Ill./Rosary) posted a team-best time of 2:26.18 in the 200-fly prelims in the final swim of her career.
- Freshman Kenzie Conn (Celina, Ohio/Celina), Robinson, freshman Trinity Springer (Gurnee, Ill./Warren Township) and senior Mariah Sturdivant (Chicago, Ill./George Westinghouse Prep.) finished the 400-free relay in 3:38.99 to finish eighth in the event.
- The Brown and Gold finished out the MVC Championships with 117 points to finish in eighth place.